Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gov. Palin is for abstinence only education, right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gov. Palin is for abstinence only education, right?

Sorry, I know what we need is another US election thread, but I didn't see one dedicated to debunking all the lies about Governor Palin, so:

While running for state office, Palin said their use ought to be discussed in schools. McCain disagrees.

Palin's statements date to her 2006 gubernatorial run. In July of that year, she completed a candidate questionnaire that asked, would she support funding for abstinence-until-marriage programs instead of "explicit sex-education programs, school-based clinics and the distribution of contraceptives in schools?"

Palin wrote, "Yes, the explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support."

But in August of that year, Palin was asked during a KTOO radio debate if "explicit" programs include those that discuss condoms. Palin said no and called discussions of condoms "relatively benign."

"Explicit means explicit," she said. "No, I'm pro-contraception, and I think kids who may not hear about it at home should hear about it in other avenues. So I am not anti-contraception. But, yeah, abstinence is another alternative that should be discussed with kids. I don't have a problem with that. That doesn't scare me, so it's something I would support also."
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

If that's her position on it, fair enough. Are there conflicting quotes? I thought there were, but admittedly I didn't care enough to do much checking.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

did she become abstinence only for the duration of the election to placate all the fundies who will not vote if she has a different "opinion"?
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Or did she become ok with condoms to convince people she wasn't a total wingnut fundie in order to get elected in '06?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Catholics are against anticonception, not protestants.
          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I'm thinking being more moderate on social issues isn't exactly something that would help her get elected in a state like Alaska.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

perhaps not protestants in Europe, protestants in US on the other hand
              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

It also occurs to me that her precise definition of "explicit" matters here.

This part is entirely fine:

I'm pro-contraception, and I think kids who may not hear about it at home should hear about it in other avenues. So I am not anti-contraception. But, yeah, abstinence is another alternative that should be discussed with kids.
                and in fact matches my views to a T.

-Arrian

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  I'm thinking being more moderate on social issues isn't exactly something that would help her get elected in a state like Alaska.
                  I don't know. I know Alaska's a big red state and all, but if she'd come out against sex-ed (which is, let's be honest, what being for "abstinence only" sex-ed is) that may have been a bridge too far even up there.

-Arrian

Comment

and it is actually what any sane person would think, but sanity is usually punished hard in politics (edit: comment on previous post)

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                      Catholics are against anticonception, not protestants.
                      You mean anti-contraception, right? While the Roman Catholic Church may be anti-contraception I don't know of very many Catholics who toe the Church line on that. You might find some in Poland or South America, but you probably won't find many in Europe or the USA.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

There's also the "relatively benign" description of condoms. Sounds like it was painful for her to say.
                        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I'm sorry, in holland we name it: "anticonception" (the pill, the condom, it's all anticonception)

The RCC is officially against contraception, maybe it's followers aren't, but the RCC officially is.
                          There are a few protestant churches, overhere in Holland as well, that are against contraception.

I doubt that Palin has ever been against contraception, but I may be wrong there. Not to mention of course that protestant churches never really have church-wide rules/laws, like the RCC has.

Protestantism is not like catholicism. The church doesn't tell you what you can or can't do or believe. (it advises you though )
                          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

The church doesn't tell you what you can or can't do or believe.
                            Not like it works all that well, if the Catholics I know are any guide...

-Arrian

Comment

Sounds like she's badly confused about what sex ed actually is.
                              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                              -Bokonon

Comment

Working...
                              X