Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IQ test

I found a cool test.

Any Mensans around here btw? I wonder if I should try to join. Though their access criterium is 132...

The last four questions just looked like random nonsense to me.
    Attached Files
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

You do know that if the test is US based you as a European will probably get an anomalous high result right?

(this is due to the better education systems we have)
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

You know, IQ tests are generally poor. This is even worse than usual. For one, all questions are of the same "guess the next shape" format. That being only one area, it would probably be scorned at by most researchers. Secondly, online IQ tests tend to give inflated results. I just clicked through the questions at random in a minute. That's 40 questions, 8 answers - statistically, I probably got 5 right. The site reported an IQ of 90, which is just slightly below-average, no way.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
        You do know that if the test is US based you as a European will probably get an anomalous high result right?
        (this is due to the better education systems we have)
        It's a Danish test made by some Mensa member apparently.

Originally posted by Solver
        You know, IQ tests are generally poor. This is even worse than usual. For one, all questions are of the same "guess the next shape" format. That being only one area, it would probably be scorned at by most researchers.
        Yeah I thought of that too.

Secondly, online IQ tests tend to give inflated results. I just clicked through the questions at random in a minute. That's 40 questions, 8 answers - statistically, I probably got 5 right. The site reported an IQ of 90, which is just slightly below-average, no way.
        The questions get harder as the number goes up. Perhaps that disrupts the random clicking method somehow.
        The test has also been taken by 250000 people it says.
        Anyway, you state some valid criticisms of course. Only way to be sure is if some people here take the test as well, and see if everyone gets some ridiculous result. Come on!

AFAIK I do probably have an IQ of 125 or so, so the result doesn't seem far off.

Comment

I'm pretty sure you have a high IQ But that's not a good indication of whether the test is built well. The best indication is to click through it randomly and see what that gives. You try it too... clicking at random should not, statistically, give a score appropriate for the average person. One thing online tests commonly do is, in fact, to ensure that the minimum possible score is around the 85-90 mark so that no one would feel bad about getting a low IQ. In fact, it'd mean that (on the low side) all results fall within one standard deviation from the mean result.

Comment

I broke the test, I'm sorry
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Hmm, if I simply submit the test without answering any questions at all, the result is "below 79". I guess the best method to research their scoring system is not answer randomly, but answer 0 questions correctly, check results, answer the first question correctly, check results...

Anyway, if by randomly clicking you accidentally got a few of the hardest questions correct, I don't think it's impossible you scored something like 90. I assume the harder questions have a higher weight in the end result. The test does not adjust for people just guessing randomly it says at the start.

Comment

Sure, but there's statistics. It's unlikely I answered enough for 90 at random, but possible. But take the test clicking through it randomly another 10 times and then statistics and common sense indicate that the results should be really low.

I just did another random click-through and got 86. Again, not terribly likely.

Comment

Admit it Solver, you only have an IQ of 86...you've admitted it now
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I just answered the first five questions (the number one should get randomly correct) and then submitted the test, and still got a result of Below 79. So I assume this supports the hypothesis that your score is a result of randomly answering hard question correctly.

Anyway, I'm not really interested in a lengthy discussion of the validity of this test, sorry.

Anyone know any good IQ tests online?
                    I guess I'll need to cough up money if I ever want a good IQ test.

I've been wondering for a long time if there's a correlation between a high IQ and certain philosophical worldviews. I guess I'll need to try and infiltrate their organization to find out. :ninja:
                    It would be nice to know somewhat in advance though if I were wasting my time.
                    Last edited by Maniac; September 7, 2008, 18:21.

Comment

There are no good online IQ tests. If you accept the assumption that IQ (or g) is a reasonable measure of intelligence and that some tests are good at determining it, then you'd probably have to believe the standardized and academically accepted tests and methods, which are tests conducted under supervision and using a pen and paper. So yeah, if you want a good IQ test you'll need to pay to take some Mensa-approved test physically, in all likelihood.

Comment

The 1st time I took an IQ test was in high school and scored 142. I took an online one a few years back and got 136.

I qualified for the Mensa types but never looked into it further.
                        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I have 122. I had to guess about 8 questions that I didn't have enough time for. My excuse is that I'm listening to music and on top of that I'm very tired right now :/
                          "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                          "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

It's such an artificial concept...it shows your ability to answer pointless and silly tests, really...
                            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                              It's such an artificial concept...it shows your ability to answer pointless and silly tests, really...
                              Yeah, but smart people will answer these pointless and silly tests a lot better than I just did
                              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Working...
                              X