School fundraisers :angry:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School fundraisers :angry:

The school is trying to get me to sell stuff door to door with my son. They got him all fired up about selling crap for the school. He thinks he's going to sell enough to get an MP3 player. I asked him how many he has to sell to get it, and he said that you don't just get it they enter your name in a drawing.

I feel some pressure.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

buy him the mp3 player yourself
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
      buy him the mp3 player yourself
      That's what I think is going to happen.

Comment

Don't they have taxes where you live?
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Lancer, you must not have kids in school.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
            Lancer, you must not have kids in school.

Me and Mrs.Troll chose two kids over last 10 years to assist

But, that financing soon will dry up like Marilynn Chambers well

Our grandson is starting school..soo..monies get funneled that way
            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Nobody wants to buy that overpriced crap and everybody (except the kids) knows it.

Put the kibosh on it before your kid drags you around town selling rolls of $.50 wrapping paper for $10.
              -rmsharpe

Comment

Originally posted by rmsharpe
                Nobody wants to buy that overpriced crap and everybody (except the kids) knows it.

Put the kibosh on it before your kid drags you around town selling rolls of $.50 wrapping paper for $10.
                But many parents (and then later Grandparents) want to help

Its not as much about the profit for us helping kids, but helping the children work for a goal.

I also dont think at this age..elementary or middle school they can quite understand its not really worth it monetarily wise.

Gramps
                Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Voters always say they want schools to have first priority.

Trouble is, in budget crunch time, politicians give schools the first priorty in making financial cuts. So schools are left to scrounge desparately needed funds from whereever they can get them.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                    Voters always say they want schools to have first priority.

Trouble is, in budget crunch time, politicians give schools the first priorty in making financial cuts. So schools are left to scrounge desparately needed funds from whereever they can get them.
                    In Oklahoma I wonder what I'm pitching in for as a parent when teachers salaries are so low.

Comment

I live in one of the most well-funded school districts in the US. And the fund-raising just moves from the schools themselves to the clubs and organizations. Trust me, there is no escape.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

First, most school fundraisers do not expect you to go door-to-door anymore. The school district my daughter attends warns agianst such type of selling. The school district expects you, the parent, to hit up your friends, co-workers and relatives.

Second, most fund raisers cover "wish list" items and are not school needs. For the most part, I find them to be lazy administrator's answer to how to get money; instead of researching and attaining private grants, or giving up their "administrators' conference" paid for by the school district.
                        "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

Working...
                        X