X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Change" to what?

In another thread, SlowwHand said:

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Debates are coming up. I really want to see more than the used up "time for a change" rallying cry. Change to what? Tell me now, or STFU.
    I've been reviewing Obama's Blueprint for Change on his website. Here's a few of the proposals:

(1) A centralized Internet database of lobbying reports, ethics records, and compaign finance filings, in a searchable, sortable, downloadable format.
    (a) Including earmarks.
    (b) Including corporate tax breaks.

(2) Public financing of campaigns combined with free airtime on radio & TV to reduce the influence of moneyed special interests.

(3) Make public all communications between persons outside the government and the White House.

(4) No Obama political appointee will be allowed to work on regulations or contracts substantially related to their past employment, for two years -- to reduce K Street influence.

(5) Guaranteed eligibility of all Americans for heath insurance with comprehensive coverage and afforadable benefits.

(6) Cut income tax by $1,000 for working families.

(7) Ban executive bonuses for bankrupt companies.

(8) Establish a 5-star rating system for credit card so cosumers will be able to better understand the risks.
    (a) Establish a Credit Card Bill of Rights: e.g. interest rate increases would appy only to future purchases, prohibit "universal defaults."

(9) Use trade agreements to spread good labor and environmental standards.

(10) Increase federal funding for basic research and development, for education, training and workforce development, and for afterschool programs.

(11) Institute a cap-and-trade program to reduce greenhouse emissions.

(12) Invest $150 billion over ten years to deploy clean technologies.

(13) Double fuel economy standards within 18 years.

(14) Create a Global Energy Forum to focus on global energy and environmental issues.

(15) Restore PAYGO.

(16) Repeal Bush tax cuts for wealthiest Americans.

(17) Require employers to provide a minimum of 7 paid sick days per year to each employee.

(18) Reduce unintended pregnancies by guaranteeing equity in contraceptive coverage and provide sex education.

(19) Secure our borders and ports. Increase the number of legal immigrants. Crack down on employers who hire illegal immigrants. Promote economic development in Mexico. Provide a system for bringing people out of the shadows: fine, learn English, go to the back of the line.

(20) Emphasize public service;
    (a) Create a Green Job Corp. to engage disadvantaged youth in energy efficiency opportunities.
    (b) Expand AmeriCorp & double the Peace Corp.
    (c) Integrate Service-Learning into our schools.
    (d) Establish a Health Corp.
    (e) Establish a Classroom Corp.
    (f) Establish a Veterans Corp. to assist Veterans in hospitals
    (g) Establish a Homeland Security Corp. to help communities plan, prepare for, and respond to emergencies.

(21) Begin pulling troops out of Iraq.
    (a) Build no permanent bases there.

(22) Secure all "Loose Nukes" within 4 years.

(22) Increase ground forces by adding 65,000 new soldiers and 27,000 Marines.

(23) Fully fund the VA, improve health care for returning veterans, rebuild VA benefits system, reverse VA ban on modest-income veterans.

(2) Public financing of campaigns combined with free airtime on radio & TV to reduce the influence of moneyed special interests.

They should probably update the blueprint.

Comment

What's so funny? That's how it happens over here.
      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

It's funny because Obama chose to turn his back on public financing for his campaign months ago.

Comment

Zk, let me just address a few of the points that I know are bull****.

(3) Make public all communications between persons outside the government and the White House.
          Excuse me?

How?

(22) Increase ground forces by adding 65,000 new soldiers and 27,000 Marines.
          From where?

(23) Fully fund the VA, improve health care for returning veterans, rebuild VA benefits system, reverse VA ban on modest-income veterans.
          While the V.A. in many locations needs to be improved, the less you make, the less it costs. If you don't work, it's free.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            Zk, let me just address a few of the points that I know are bull****.

Excuse me?
            You know. Like when the oil companies went behind closed doors in the White House to write our energy policy. No more of that! If they want input, it'll be made public.

From where?
            [This is me, not him:] It should be easy to recruit more troops. Give them better pay, better living condition, and a better GI Bill. Make their mission more important by taking out of the quagmire in Iraq and going after al Qaeda and bin Ladin in Afghanistan and, if necessary, Pakistan.

Comment

The main problem is that most of that list - all of it, probably - is just election time blue-sky proposals that half of which he probably doesn't even want, and the rest just won't happen. Heck, the Contract With America probably had a higher success rate than that list will, even if he personally supports every item.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut
                It's funny because Obama chose to turn his back on public financing for his campaign months ago.
                Which doesn't mean that, for the average candidate, it's not a good thing.

Obama was able to decline public funding because, even though he's refused all money from lobbyists and PACs, he's raised unprecedented amounts of money.

Comment

Re: "Change" to what?

Originally posted by Zkribbler

No offense, but shouldn't that be done in four seconds no matter the colour of the president ? One thing is a yanky pres that can destroy the world - another thing is a yanky pres that doen't know where his weapons are
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Which doesn't mean that, for the average candidate, it's not a good thing.
                    Do as I say, not as I do?

Obama was able to decline public funding because, even though he's refused all money from lobbyists and PACs, he's raised unprecedented amounts of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

[This is me, not him:] It should be easy to recruit more troops. Give them better pay, better living condition, and a better GI Bill. Make their mission more important by taking out of the quagmire in Iraq and going after al Qaeda and bin Ladin in Afghanistan and, if necessary, Pakistan.

A) Better living conditions? You mean while they're in the field in Afganistan and

B) Pakistan, which I doubt we'll see.

C) The GI Bill isn't bad as it now exists.

D) Why didn't he run right out and enlist?
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut
                        Because McCain had already broken the campaign finance laws at that time. Laws he had helped write. If McCain wasn't going to play by the rules, why should Obama play McCain's game? The DNC filed suit against the McCain campaign in April and a judge dismissed it in May on a technicality, not its merits. The court lacked the jurisdiction until 120 days after the FEC acts. As the Dems didn't have quorum, they'd hoped to avoid that.
                        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Most of the things on that list don't validate his message of change. Those are all minor goals. What would an accomplishment that Obama to be remembered by be?

1) Out of Iraq

2) Cap-trade

3) Make healthcare better.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Because McCain had already broken the campaign finance laws at that time. Laws he had helped write. If McCain wasn't going to play by the rules, why should Obama play McCain's game?
                            You don't actually believe this tripe, do you? Obama abandoned public financing because he thought it would net him more money in the long run. End of story.

Comment

Naked Gents Rut
                              Do they?
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X