No announcement yet.

RNC 2008: McCain Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a popular position, but it's also a standard Republican position. People who are going to base their vote on something like that were already voting McCain anyways. He needed to demonstrate some heterodoxy, but didn't.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

The only possible good item (different from the "One's" speach) was the implication that he really respected O and might not lower himself to mudslinging. While that's probably not going to happen and he won't be able to control the non-official bashing, it would be very good if he didn't. I am so Sick of negative campaigns and would almost vote for who does the least of it this time around. Yeah, I know I'm dreaming, but there's still 60 day left of having to listen to this crap everywhere and I can still hope.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That's not the way politics works, rah. It's a contact sport.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Josh Marshall was wondering what, exactly, was the backdrop of McCain's speech:

No, not one of McCain's mansions. Turns out that it's Walter Reed. Walter Reed Middle School in Northern California

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

I thought the big screen was used to very good effect.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
              That's not the way politics works, rah. It's a contact sport.
              Yes it is, but if enough people complain about negative ads and it becomes an important enough component on decision making in terms of voting, it will become a part of the way politics works. (yes, dreaming again, but if enough people complain...)
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The only possible good item (different from the "One's" speach) was the implication that he really respected O and might not lower himself to mudslinging. While that's probably not going to happen and he won't be able to control the non-official bashing, it would be very good if he didn't. I am so Sick of negative campaigns and would almost vote for who does the least of it this time around. Yeah, I know I'm dreaming, but there's still 60 day left of having to listen to this crap everywhere and I can still hope.
                I think it's already too late to do the 'above the fray' thing at this point. Voters have already seen too many really negative commercials followed by 'I'm John McCain and I approved this message' to really buy into that. And I seriously doubt that they'll stop now.
                "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
                "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

If McCain was smart he would stop it, and make a big point out of it. Saying how can Obama realy be the unifier that he claims to be if he supports negative ads.
                  MaCain stands for a kinder America and other crap like that.

Obama is going to be outspending him at least 5 to 1. It would be more beneficial to McCain if neither side did it

THere's still 60 days to go, so it's not too late.
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It would be like giving up cross-examination in a court case. Not advisable.

However, I would say that there are various ways of doing cross-examination. It's the same in politics.

Comment

If McCain was smart he would stop it, and make a big point out of it. Saying how can Obama realy be the unifier that he claims to be if he supports negative ads.
                      Given that his ad campaign has thus far been far more negative than Obama's, and that any hope of him winning basically relies on tearing down Obama, that'd be terrible strategy.

Obama is going to be outspending him at least 5 to 1.
                      Not going to happen. The RNC, which is loaded with cash and can get max donations of close to $30k, is going to shore up McCain's financial situation.
                      -Bokonon

Comment

This is perhaps the most interesting election I've ever seen.

On one side you got Obama/Biden. First black pres nom and Biden, he's the only dull apple in the bunch. However Obama, smart, well spoken, not afraid to stand up to anyone. Spoke really well with the blowhard on FOX, what's his name. Obama's a typical dem as far as military, will cut it for social stuff, that's bad and good but really bad considering the world we live in. Isolationists will love him. Troops that have to go to war with obsolete, broken down equipment will not. I'd like to see him win just because he's black and not a gangsta rapper, and he's into personal responsibility. That would be good for the black community, bring them into the mainstream and somewhat make them stop complaining. Maybe then we could move on to a congressional hispanic caucus. Obama may well someday be pres, hopefully when he isn't so anti military or maybe when the world is a safer place.

McCain/Palin, they are anti corruption. I loved the line in McCain speech where he said that if pork got to his desk he would veto it, and that "you will know their names" refering to whoever put the pork in the bill. I've been waiting for an ethical whistle blower since I figured out whats up. Palin, well hell, what a gal! Got into this mess through the PTA. What? Fought a corrupt gov and couldn't beat him so ran against him and threw his ass out. What? Sold the govs jet on ebay. What? Hunts moose in the freakin Alaska wilderness. What? Every time I turn around I'm astounded by her. Both are great anti-corruption warriors which to me comes first before raising taxes like Obama will do. First you wisely use the $ I give you, then you ask me for more.

Great stuff. Interesting election.
                        Long time member @ Apolyton
                        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

McCain/Palin, they are anti corruption. I loved the line in McCain speech where he said that if pork got to his desk he would veto it, and that "you will know their names" refering to whoever put the pork in the bill.
                          Yes, you will know their names. Like Sarah Palin. McCain had actually called out a few of the earmarks she lobbied for a few years ago...
                          -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                            Not going to happen. The RNC, which is loaded with cash and can get max donations of close to $30k, is going to shore up McCain's financial situation.
                            Quite right:

Sept. 5 (Bloomberg) -- John McCain's campaign expects to leave the Republican National Convention with $200 million in the bank and be able to match the Democrats' spending in the next two months, an aide said.

McCain will depart from the St. Paul, Minnesota, convention with $84.1 million in federal funds and the Republican National Committee will have about $125 million, the campaign aide said, speaking on condition of anonymity. Fundraisers are working to bring in another $80 million to $100 million over the next two months, the aide said.

With an increase in fundraising following McCain's choice of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin as his running mate, Republicans say they are no longer in danger of being swamped by Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama's campaign cash.

``The money game is essentially off the table now,'' said Eddie Mahe, a former deputy chairman of the Republican National Committee.

Obama, 47, has raised more than $400 million for his presidential campaign. Since clinching the nomination in June, he has raised about $80 million a month for his campaign and the Democratic National Committee.

His fundraising goal, if met, may mean $100 million more to spend on the campaign than the Republicans.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

OMG! $600 million in campaign ads over the next 60 day?

I am so glad I am in a state that is not in play.
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
                                OMG! $600 million in campaign ads over the next 60 day?

I am so glad I am in a state that is not in play.
                                QFTMFT! I have seen two (2) TV ads since the Bataan Death March to the White House began early last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X