X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNC 2008: McCain Speech

Anyone listened it?

I think it was pretty good.

He succeed to present some of his plan without being too technical, he spoke directly to people with optimism, he spoke about his own vision of America (related to his own experience in Vietnam), he spoke a little about russia, Iran. What I will remember of his speech; will be his optimist about America and how people should believe in the American ideal.

I think Obama and McCain gave two good speech(in their own way). While McCain impressed me, since I knew him less.
    bleh

A good strong speech.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

He succeed to present some of his plan without being too technical

He said nothing substantive, basically.

McCain is such a disappointment for me. I actually supported him in 2000 but he seems to have sold out to try to get elected, and the Palin thing is just the last ridiculous bit of icing on the cake.
      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

[McCain]I got totured! USA![/McCain]
        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Dumbass. You break a finger nail and go all to pieces.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It was a dull speech, but I really did like his calls to work with the other side and when he called out his own party for failing the American people.

Though he did have a great line when the protesters were led out when he said something like "Americans want us to stop yelling at each other".
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

A decent speach. He certainly doesn't have Obama oratory skills. I was hoping for a few more specifics.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

As specific as Obama?
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Haven't seen it, but description is funny because you could switch McCains name with Obama and remove the bit about vietnam, nobody could tell.

Comment

He got back on message as an anti-corruption crusader, which is probably a winner.

No way does he win the popular vote, but Obama's support base seems to be ill-suited for the electoral college. (I suspect he'll end up barely losing a lot of big, important states, which will suck big-time for him.)
                    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

They blasted Obama for talking about change saying that words were pointless, you need action. Then McCain gave a speech about change which presented no course of action.
                      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                      -Joan Robinson

Comment

Maybe it was satire?
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

So he started off with asserting his independence from the GOP which was where he needed to go, then he rattled off a list of party line positions. Tax cuts for the rich and "drill, baby, drill" really isn't a way to carve out the middle. And vouchers are the civil rights issue of the day? Really? And he needed to go on about it several minutes? It was kind of bewildering. And his delivery for this part of the speech was awful, with applause sapping momentum from the guy ever other line.

The POW spiel was really the only redeeming part of the speech. It's a testament to the story that it's still moving despite its overuse. The danger for McCain is that continued overuse could make it become late night comic material (particularly coupled with claims that he never uses his POW experience for political gain).

I think that neither the McCain speech nor the Palin speech did what they needed to do. Moderates were given very little in terms of policy. If it's a base election, they lose.
                          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                          -Bokonon

Comment

really isn't a way to carve out the middle.
                            Most Americans, including the middle, are all about drilling. That is why Obama reversed himself in case you missed it.
                            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos

Most Americans, including the middle, are all about drilling. That is why Obama reversed himself in case you missed it.
                              And why the wicked witch did also.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X