• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Texas Judge Did What!?!

Condemned man's hearing moved to before execution
    September 4, 2008 - 6:35pm

By MICHAEL GRACZYK
    Associated Press Writer

HOUSTON (AP) - A judge on Thursday moved a hearing date for a condemned inmate so that it's no longer scheduled for after his execution, giving his lawyers the chance to argue while he's still alive that the conviction was unfair because the judge was allegedly having an affair with a prosecutor.

State District Judge Greg Brewer moved the hearing date for Charles Dean Hood to Monday, two days before Hood is set to die for the 1989 slaying of a couple in Plano, near Dallas.

The decision reverses a that of another judge, Robert Dry, who had set a similar hearing for Sept. 12, two days after Hood's execution date.

The hearing will address arguments that Brewer's murder trial was unfair because of an alleged romantic relationship between the judge presiding over the trial, Verla Sue Holland, and former Collin County District Attorney Tom O'Connell.

Brewer ordered Holland, now retired, and O'Connell, now in private practice, to be ready to be interviewed by lawyers Monday _ if Brewer agrees at Monday's hearing that the pair should be deposed. Neither has commented on the allegations that they were romantically involved.

Dry wrote to the defense last month that he was treating the request as part of a civil case that could be pursued after Hood was dead. "In reality, you are exploring a civil lawsuit for the estate of Mr. Hood," he wrote.

But the defense said the hearing should be held before Hood's execution, because evidence gathered from taking the depositions of Holland and O'Connell "may serve as the basis for a reprieve request to the governor of Texas."

On Wednesday, Dry took himself off the case, citing a "previous business relationship" with Holland's ex-husband as the reason.

Hood, 39, was scheduled to die June 17 but his lethal injection, which had cleared numerous lengthy appeals, was aborted by state prison officials after they ran out of time to carry out the execution by midnight.

The former topless-club bouncer was convicted of killing Tracie Lynn Wallace, 26, an ex-dancer at the club, and her boyfriend, Ronald Williamson, 46, at Williamson's home.

Hood was driving Williamson's Cadillac at the time of his arrest, and fingerprint evidence tied him to the murder scene. But he said he was living at Williamson's home and had permission to drive the car.
    If true, I'm am so embarrassed for the court system.

Don't get me started on the incompetence of Texas judges.... I had a particularly galling hearing this morning in Houston where the court flat out ignored the law on one of my cases.

Comment

Yeah.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
        Don't get me started on the incompetence of Texas judges.... I had a particularly galling hearing this morning in Houston where the court flat out ignored the law on one of my cases.
        Chaps my ass when that happens to. I've pointed out to some judges that they're rulings aren't following the established laws. Their response is "What fun is being a judge if you can't do what's right?"

It's the Leglislature that determines "what's right." It's teh judge's friggin' job to follow the law. He took an oath unto God that h'd do so!

Comment

You're taking HIS word for it? Sorry. Not good enough.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Chaps my ass when that happens to. I've pointed out to some judges that they're rulings aren't following the established laws. Their response is "What fun is being a judge if you can't do what's right?"

It's the Leglislature that determines "what's right." It's teh judge's friggin' job to follow the law. He took an oath unto God that h'd do so!
            Texas has some particularly brutal procedural laws that judges aren't abiding by, especially when they mandate atty's fees to me. I told the judge today I would interloc her, she was none too pleased with that comment.

Comment

See? Eventually the whole story will come out.

Comment

No doubt after he's been executed.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Go pick some prunes.

Comment

A judge on Thursday moved a hearing date for a condemned inmate so that it's no longer scheduled for after his execution, giving his lawyers the chance to argue while he's still alive that the conviction was unfair because the judge was allegedly having an affair with a prosecutor.
                    Originally posted by asleepathewheel
                    Texas has some particularly brutal procedural laws that judges aren't abiding by, especially when they mandate atty's fees to me. I told the judge today I would interloc her, she was none too pleased with that comment.
                    So that's what they're calling it these days?

Comment

So after "lengthy" appeals and 19 years after the crime, his lawyers are just now , two days before execution, going to bring up a potential conflict that could send the whole case back to retrial?

I don't think it is only the judges that we should be judging here.
                      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

WTG, Plato.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
                          So after "lengthy" appeals and 19 years after the crime, his lawyers are just now , two days before execution, going to bring up a potential conflict that could send the whole case back to retrial?

I don't think it is only the judges that we should be judging here.
                          No-clearly this is a failure of almost every piece of the system. I'd be embarrassed if I were the defense attorney at the original trial.

Comment

Ooooo, so at this late point you notice maybe it's the defendant and his attornies? I'm glad it didn't take years.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                              Ooooo, so at this late point you notice maybe it's the defendant and his attornies? I'm glad it didn't take years.
                              I can assure you, I know better than anyone on this forum (including you) the failures of the criminal justice system, from prosecutors to defense attorneys to judges.

My complaint against the judge goes to the scheduling of the hearing being posthumous, not the allegations towards the presiding judge and prosecutor.

Comment

Working...
                              X