A reading of the Old Testament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A reading of the Old Testament

As testified to by a recent thread on its kick-ass nature, I've started re-reading the OT.

I had previously created a thread similar to this, but I can't be arsed to look it up, and it's too old to be relevant anyway, so I'm creating a new one.

This is simply meant to discuss interesting passages from the OT as I come across them.

Till now, I've read till the story of David, 2 Samuel.

A general note about context: throughout my childhood, I had been taught by my teachers that that all the world's religious texts are all love and devotion and piety and faith. Judging them intolerably boring, therefore, I never read them. Now that I'm reading stuff with an open mind, however, I realise that they're not the insipid trash which I was told they were, they're actually interesting. So I approach them with eyes which are probably fresher than those of most here.

Also, the OT kicks ass. Hard.

Note: I'm using the NIV.

One thing I didn't understand when I read this part:

Link

Originally posted by YHWH

David Counts the Fighting Men

1 Again the anger of the LORD burned against Israel, and he incited David against them, saying, "Go and take a census of Israel and Judah."

2 So the king said to Joab and the army commanders [a] with him, "Go throughout the tribes of Israel from Dan to Beersheba and enroll the fighting men, so that I may know how many there are."

3 But Joab replied to the king, "May the LORD your God multiply the troops a hundred times over, and may the eyes of my lord the king see it. But why does my lord the king want to do such a thing?"
    What did that whore Israel do that provoked YHWH this time around? Normally, it's her cavorting with other gods, or not following the commandments of her LORD, or something. But here, there seems to be zilch context for YHWH's anger. Seemed totally random to me. Nothing in the preceding passage suggested any deviation or anything of the sort.

In fact, the last four passages were, in order:

1) Wars against the Philistines (YHWH generally heartily approves when Israek kicks Philistine ass. They seem to be put there generally for that purpose - to keep Israel's life interesting.)
    2) David's Song of Praise (Unless David was a horrible singer, I fail to see the problem here)
    3) The Last Words of David (they're pretty good)
    4) David's Mighty Men (nothing here either to suggest anything which may piss off YHWH).

Any insights?

My God man! Get a life...go to some parties, have promiscuous sex, you know, that kind of thing...not reading the old bleeding testament...
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
      My God man! Get a life...go to some parties, have promiscuous sex, you know, that kind of thing...not reading the old bleeding testament...
      What makes you think that the two are mutually exclusive?

And answer the damn question!

Comment

This?

The prophet of God, Jeremiah, warned his fellow Jews that if they did not heed the Word of God and repent of their sins, God would allow the soldiers of Babylon to come in, destroy their country, and carry them far away. Most of the Jews paid no attention to Jeremiah's warnings. Consequently, the army of Babylon came from the east, destroyed Jerusalem, broke down the temple and took the Jews captives, transporting them to Babylon, just as the prophet Jeremiah had predicted. Thus the Jewish people were dispersed, because they refused to obey the word of God's prophets.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
          This?
          No. I refer to 2 Samuel:1-3. YHWH's anger seems totally random.

Comment

The killing of Saul? Sorry, I don't have a lot of time. Probably a better behaving religious person will be around soon and be more help.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
              The killing of Saul? Sorry, I don't have a lot of time. Probably a better behaving religious person will be around soon and be more help.
              No, the census of Israel.

Comment

A thought I have heard is that it didn't show trust in God, another thought was that it shows an abuse of the jewish common man by King David.

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm

No. I refer to 2 Samuel:1-3. YHWH's anger seems totally random.
                  Yes, now you have a complete understanding of the old testament.
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

It's probably some weird translation thing...

Or that YHWH was a rather disagreeable and angry individual...

Or that David was having trouble getting new recruits to continue his wars of aggression, so needed to scare the people a bit with "YHWH's wrath" so that his vision for a sprawling military-industrial complex could come to pass.

Comment

A quick google yields this commentary:

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

yes this one is pure kick ass... they count the people for 9 months, and than God says: you screwed up what do you want, here are three choices and David instead of chosing three years of famie, three months of fleeing choses three days of plague?!?

he could have prepared for famine, and he was the dude who did all this, should not he have been fleeing for 3 months??? but he choses the plague which killed 70k people... now if King George did this what would American peole say I wander???

In any case it seems that God is angry on David in particular because he was (probably by this act) showing to everyone he is counting on his human might to rule/conquer etc... sidelining God... so God being in the active role with both him and Israel kicked their ass just to show who is in charge around there....

Even more interesting is the choise of three bad things that can happen where David chose the shortest one time wise?!? and where presumably 70k of innocent people were offed for Davids mistakes... that one I don't get... why give the perpetrator of the crime the choice of punishment especially if he himself is not really touched by it (at least not mentioned), the only thing that David loses is 1/10th of his army/population and that's it...

all in all an interesting chapter...
                        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
                        X