Agathon's chosen school wins first game since 2001

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agathon's chosen school wins first game since 2001

This is front page news in Toronto. WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Miracle at Varsity
    U of T Blues end 0-49 streak

Robyn Doolittle
    Staff Reporter

Grown men cried and fans rushed the field as the U of T's Varsity Blues ended a 49-game losing streak in Ontario university football action last night with a late touchdown and a last-minute field goal.

The 18-17 win at Varsity Centre against the Waterloo Warriors sent fans leaping into the air as they celebrated a victory after seven long years of waiting.

"I told you, I told you today was the day," screamed former player Simon Clarke-Okah as he and thousands of fans bounded onto the field to celebrate.

Andrea Armborst jumped into Blues player Mark Stinson's arms and emerged with black paint all over her face. She didn't care.

"We needed this! It's so amazing!" Armborst said. "And it was so incredible, right up until the end."

It's taken a long time, so long in fact that many fans had given up hope of ever seeing a Blues victory.

Going into their home opener, the Blues had 49 winless games. The only thing they've won since 2001 – that's seven football seasons – is the Canadian record for most straight losses.

Regardless, the stadium was a maelstrom of enthusiasm – the froshies with the thundersticks, the bare-chested guys from the phys. ed. department who fervently started a round of "Waterloo smells like poo" after a U of T player took a particularly hard hit, the scores of blue-painted Blues supporters.

The Warriors and Blues traded scores throughout the second half. But with less than a minute to go, the Blues had a chance to score a game-winning field goal.

And they took it.

James Sinclair, 22, quietly chanted: "We are so gonna do this. We are so gonna do this."

The crowd went silent. The kick ... it was good.

And the stadium exploded. Their team had done what no one thought they could do.

And, finally, they had something to celebrate.

What a **** school.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

The Blues won a game? Jesus.

The end of the world is nigh.

They are still the laughingstock of the school, and it is only "Canadian" Football.

I once attended an Argos game against the Winnipeg "Blue Bombers". I've been to funerals that were more festive (and this was when Pinball Clemons was still playing). Only pensioners seemed to be in attendance (and playing for that matter). Even the cheerleaders were sour old dogs.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

The CFL indeed sucks very much. **** you for stealing my opinion.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Asher and Agathon: Even when they agree, it's contentious.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Damn straight.

Comment

Working...
          X