Warmiaks and Mazurs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warmiaks and Mazurs

Warmia (Ermland) and Masuria (Masuren?) are regions of a bit different history and identity. Both used to be part of original Prussia. During the numerous wars between Prussians and early polish rulers, southern prussian tribes (Sasins, Galindians) were nearly exterminated, making place for polish colonisation, especially after the conquest of Prussia by Teutonic Knights. Warmia became part of Poland in 1466, but only southern part of it was polish, northern part was german-speaking. Masuria was only temporily annected by Poland, and remained in Prussia. Thus, Warmia was clearly catholic, while Masuria was 3/4 protestant.

After first partage of Poland, Warmia became a posession of Prussia, and since then the history of the two regions are about the same.
    I must add that there was no region named Masuria. It was coined in XIX century by Germans. Earlier, it was simply referred to as the polish districts of Prussia.
    While the regions opposed linguistic germanisations (forcible introducing german language in church etc), they didn't do it in the name of being polish, they were almost void of any national feeling - like in many other places in eastern Europe.

Will finish this thread later on. Too lazy to do it now.
    "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
    I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
    Middle East!

Warmongers and masseuses. WTF? This thread makes no sense.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

There was a polish movement there, but very weak, also due to the fact that the gentry and most of the towns became german, while Poles dominated in the villages. Poland demanded this area after ww1, but a plebiscite was ordered. As police, administration and clergy were german, polish activists were in a very bad situation, often being beaten, threatened, or even killed. Also, on the voting paper, Warmiaks and Mazurs were not to choose between Poland and Germany, but between Poland and... East Prussia, the name of the region. Moreover, "Poland" was written in a latin font, while Germany in the used in schools and everywhere around gothic font.
      Also, the plebiscite took place when entire polish-masurian border was in soviet hands, and german press already announced the fall of Warsaw (soviets reached the doorstep of polish capital then).
      And, again, these people simply weren't aware that they speak polish, weren't aware of what Poland is, lived all their life in Germany.
      In result, almost no Masurs voted for Poland, and only a 15% or so of Warmiaks and Powislans (Poles of the part of Western Prussia east to Vistula). In general, 97% or so voted for Germany.
      Middle East!

Comment

Sounds like the antagonists from a cheap space opera.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

This thread makes no sense... I want to present to You the results of my work over an essay... I wrote it about polish propaganda concerning the emmigration of Warmiaks and Masurs to Germany in the 1970s. But I can't present it until I explain to You the historical background.
          Middle East!

Comment

But what does this have to do with frogs?
            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Masuria is the land of many lakes, swamps etc...
              Middle East!

Comment

we need a frog smiley
                Monkey!!!

Comment

as well as
                  -vomit
                  -better crying
                  -crab
                  ones.
                  Middle East!

Comment

That's the second time I've seen that posted.

Comment

Happy Putin smileys take priority!
                      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Working...
                      X