Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whoha
    certainly nothing that would break any treaty
    Shuttle could hardly break any treaties. Put simply, the satellites that would be retrieved for inspection are outside the range of the Shuttle.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
      We need to be able to get to the space station, yes? Iirc, last go round of the cold war there wasn't alot of cooperation in space. So, how do we get there?
      You're R I G H T!!! We NEED that S H U T T L E !
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Amazing to think we have funded so much money into that useless orbiting piece of sh*t and with the retirement of the shuttle, Russia could very easily deny American astronauts and scientists direct access to the station.

Comment

Originally posted by Riesstiu IV
          Amazing to think we have funded so much money into that useless orbiting piece of sh*t and with the retirement of the shuttle, Russia could very easily deny American astronauts and scientists direct access to the station.

A glorious new part of the ever growing Russian Federation
          Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
          The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
          The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Unless the Russkies install an atom-bomb dropper, we have no reason to want to visit it. The ISS is like the state of Delaware, only in space. Oh, and without the super bargains at outlet malls. So it's worse than Delaware. That's BAD.

EDIT: After browsing Wikipedia, it seems Delaware also has the world punkin' chunkin' championships. So Delaware is 2-0 on the ISS.
            Last edited by Elok; August 28, 2008, 18:34.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

If we couldn't use it anymore it could easily make great targeting practice for anti-satellite missile systems.

Comment

I'd imagine that if you founded a corporation on the ISS, you'd be immune to most lawsuits based on earthside jurisdiction.

But back on topic, yes - the original Transformers movie had a whole planet made out of robot called Cybertron, and another whole planet that was a robot called Unicron, and that all happened by 2005. We're way behind schedule.

And I think the Chinese are going to beat the US to building Executor-class Star Destroyers.
                "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
                  And I think the Chinese are going to beat the US to building Executor-class Star Destroyers.
                  Except they would have a cheap knock-off name.

Comment

I rather prefer Star Trek comparisons to current nations/ types of people.

Ferengi = Space jews. Plain and simple. Everybody thinks there annoying and they try to cheat everyone.

Klingons = Russians. Boorish, drunk, and itching for a fight. Anybody neighboring them seems to hate them.

Federation = A combination of US military might and civilization full of Jimmy Carters. Very boring overall.

Romulans = Chinese. Cold, evil, and mysterious. Absolute obedience to the state is emphasized.

Bajorians = Victims of a brutal occupation for decades. They are much like Palestinians but far more likable and probably smell better.

Vulcans = People with asperges. High and mighty assh*les who think they are above everybody else and are about as sociable as cacti.

Comment

Space Jews

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                        Except they would have a cheap knock-off name.
                        实行分类天空主力舰

"Executor-class Space Battleship" is the best I can do here. Pronounced shi2xing2 fen1lei4 tian1kong1 zhu3li4jian4.
                        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia I'd imagine that if you founded a corporation on the ISS, you'd be immune to most lawsuits based on earthside jurisdiction.
                          It's much worse -- at least for Evil, Inc.

Rather, all of the partner countries have jurisdiction.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I rather prefer Star Trek comparisons to current nations/ types of people.

Ferengi = Space jews. Plain and simple. Everybody thinks there annoying and they try to cheat everyone.
                            You forgot to mention the nose and ears...

Vulcans = People with asperges. High and mighty assh*les who think they are above everybody else and are about as sociable as cacti.
                            The Vulcans are the Swiss.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Elok

Unless the Russkies install an atom-bomb dropper, we have no reason to want to visit it. The ISS is like the state of Delaware, only in space. Oh, and without the super bargains at outlet malls. So it's worse than Delaware. That's BAD.

EDIT: After browsing Wikipedia, it seems Delaware also has the world punkin' chunkin' championships. So Delaware is 2-0 on the ISS.

I thought we were going to use the thing as a stepping stone to the solar system?
                              Long time member @ Apolyton
                              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

No. That's fundamentally not possible.

Learn a little rocket science.

Comment

Working...
                                X