what kind of cable/converter do I need to look for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what kind of cable/converter do I need to look for

I recently acquired a 5.1 speaker system. It comes with this media player... thing, which includes a DVD player and whatnot. It has an optical input that looks like this:

My computer has an optical output that looks like that too, but upon closer examination it doesn't appear to be hooked up to anything. (It's far away from all the other ports for my sound card). However, next to all the regular 3.5mm audio ports is a slightly smaller, about 2.5mm port that's always flashing and says OPTICAL OUT next to it.

What kind of cable do I need to plug into that, and is it possible to get a converter between the two types?
    Last edited by Kuciwalker; August 26, 2008, 10:57.

Do you mean an optical S/PDIF (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPDIF , where you presumably got that image from?) connection?

You would need ... an optical s/pdif cable. I don't think you can 'convert' between optical and anything else, but you may be confused and it may well be the same port (as I've never heard of a different type of optical connection than S/PDIF).
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I have an optical S/PDIF cable. (I actually have two of them.) They look like the picture I posted. My audio card claims to have an S/PDIF out, and when I use it the OPTICAL OUT on the back of the computer lights up. However, that port is just a circle, about 2.5mm wide.

Presumably I just need an optical cable with a different connector at one end.

Comment

Ohhhhhh. You probably need this:
        Buy Recoton Fiber Optic Toslink to 3.5mm Mini Adapter: Connectors & Adapters - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

or something like that.

Comment

Yes, that is what you need. That is what I use to connect my MBP to my A/V receiver to get DD5.1/DTS.

Note that while it is $2.99 in the US, no one who sells them ships them to Canada and the cheapest they are in Canada is ten times that price...
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Optical sound is wonderful, by the way The sound from my current setup is 10x better than my previous arrangement... admittedly having 5.1 instead of 2.0 is probably part of the difference But still...

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                Optical sound is wonderful, by the way The sound from my current setup is 10x better than my previous arrangement... admittedly having 5.1 instead of 2.0 is probably part of the difference But still...
                Optical is obsolete...HDMI 1.3a for the win.

Lossy sound.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Optical is lossy? Didn't know that.

Anyway, it's a 1000% improvement from RCA connectors

When my cable box gets nonlossy sound/HDMI sound output, I'll use that. (actually I could run the regular HDMI connection through the 'multimedia' box, but that doesn't have HDMI input I don't believe)

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                    Optical is lossy? Didn't know that.
                    It depends on the format.

It can do 2-channel PCM lossless (but 16-bit only).

All 5.1 (Dolby Digital, DTS) are lossy.

Optical lacks the bandwidth to have 5.1 lossless.

Comment

Ahh, gotcha. I don't think my cable box provides any lossless signal in any event, so ...

When bluray gets a bit cheaper, perhaps i'll get a BR player that can act as the media center hub (or whatever you call the thing that connects the speakers and whatnot, and takes the sound output from the cable box)... presumably by that point it will have an HDMI input.

Comment

That's what I have now, except w/o bluray (just an upconverting DVD player).

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Optical is obsolete...HDMI 1.3a for the win.

Lossy sound.
                          Do you output HDMI with multichannel lossless audio from your PC?

I haven't checked recently but 6 months ago there were very few solutions to output 5.1 or 7.1 lossless from a PC and they were too expensive.
                          Quendelie axan!

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Og

Do you output HDMI with multichannel lossless audio from your PC?

I haven't checked recently but 6 months ago there were very few solutions to output 5.1 or 7.1 lossless from a PC and they were too expensive.
                            No, only from my PS3 right now (Bluray and streamed audio/video from the PC).

I'm not sure there's much of a point in lossless audio using PC speakers, unless you have a HTPC.

Comment

Working...
                            X