UK Minister: Kill American Aggressors on sight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Minister: Kill American Aggressors on sight

Anglers have been issued with a "kill on sight" message to combat the spread of American signal crayfish.

Environment Minister Mike Russell made the call ahead of the launch of a new leaflet on the issue at the Galloway Country Fair.

The species has become an increasingly common sight in Scotland, particularly at Loch Ken in Dumfries and Galloway.

The signal crayfish has been blamed for eating young fish and destroying their natural habitat.

Mr Russell branded it one of the most problematic, invasive species in the country alongside the grey squirrel, Japanese knotweed and American mink.

'Particular problem'

"As well as competing with valuable native fish such as trout and salmon, the holes they bore into river banks for their nests can leave the land weak and lead to a greater risk of flooding," he said.

"Any angler who catches one is urged to kill it on sight, not to throw it back into the water or take it away alive and contact the Scottish Government, Fisheries Research Services, Scottish Natural Heritage or the Scottish Environment Protection Agency."

The signal crayfish was introduced to waters in England and Wales through fish farms about 20 years ago.

In Scotland, they were first recorded in the catchment of the River Dee in Kirkcudbrightshire in 1995.

Since then, specimens have been found in Scottish ponds, rivers and lochs as far north as Inverness-shire.

And in the part I bolded, isn't there an error? I thought he meant the "American Ming"
    Blah

Every where you look in Britain American species are proving to be evolutionarily more fit then the natives.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

BTW knotweed supposedly makes a nice farm crop or at least native Americans in the eastern part of the US used to farm knotweed until they gave it up for larger seeded foreign crops. I imagine the fact that it is a relative of ragweed (a notorious plant for causing people to sneeze and break out in hives) didn't help its popularity.

Comment

EDIT for manners: Sorry, don't mean to be rude, but that new avatar of yours is really screwing with me. Those big, vacant blue eyes are scary as all hell.
        Last edited by Elok; August 19, 2008, 06:24.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Screw you to buddy.

Comment

Also the oversized head and lack of neck. Like a satanic bobblehead that wants to consume my soul. The stubble doesn't help either.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Signal crayfish are sold at about 1£ per specimen in Sweden, it's our #1 party food in August.
              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Crawdads

"The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Ha, Ha. We're going to rape the shire. All hail Sauron!
                  "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

There's nothing wrong with squirrels. Mike Russell is a peckerhead.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Only that they are killing off our native Red Squirrels. Crayfish are eating everything in our rivers.

But yeah, we should be eating tons of them.
                      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

grey squirrels don't actually kill the red ones, they are just more succesful in terms of competing for food
                        Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                        Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Beware of cannibal squirrels, they have bigger teeth
                          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Working...
                          X