No announcement yet.

Resident Americans: A Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure if there is a good measure in this area.

Any sort of raw medal count is unfair to small countries.

Medals per capita is not good because it is difficult for large countries send teams proportional to some smaller countries. Snoopy pointed out that medals per athlete isn't very good.

Rating medals with a different value doesn't make sense to me. (note: I'm having trouble putting the reason into words. This example is the best I can do to explain, but it may be hard to understand) Imagine the number of male runners in the world, which is a HUGE number. Saying that the accomplishment of the person who is faster than all but one is only 2/3rds the value (or even 99% of the value) of the accomplishment of the fastest male runner is ridiculous. To compensate for all the people you'd be better than with a silver or bronze, the values of silver and bronze would have to be so close to gold that it gets rid of the point of giving different value to medals.

Since just getting to the Olympics is a huge accomplishment, maybe the number of athletes or athletes per capita would be a good measure, but total athletes is, like medal counts, unfair to smaller countries. Athletes per capita is, like medals per capita, unfair to large countries since it is difficult for them to wield proportional teams.

Ultimately, it is like Baseball stats. Many different statistics are needed to know a players skill and there many different opinions about which are the most important. When it comes to this, there are even opinions about whether or not any of these measures matter. IMO, there is a reason why the IOC makes no sort of medal count. On NBC about a week days ago, they said something like "The medal count is ultimately pointless, but in case you were wondering here it is." Unfortunately, they just seem to be showing it now and I even saw a "total medal count vs. gold count" debate on MSNBC
    Last edited by Will9; August 18, 2008, 18:35.
    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
      It's always something. USA can't do anything right. That's why we don't care. Well, Texans don't care. Some may, we don't.
      I just posted to say that I don't care either.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy
        NBC's coverage of the Olympics is hugely US biased. It is to the point where it actually bothers me, but I will give them this, their overall coverage seems a lot better this year than 4 ago.

China is owning these games, the US is still clinging to the fact that it is #1.
        Could this be due in part to the fact that NBC is directed at the US audience??

Ive read articles claiming heavily chinese-biased news coverage in china-and why wouldnt each countries coverage be biased towards itself?
        if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

They all are, but NBC's is just above and beyond.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi

I just posted to say that I don't care either.
            The 2nd stand at Alamo. DaShi and SlowwHand and an army of volunteers.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              They all are, but NBC's is just above and beyond.
              What events i have watched on NBC-mostly swimming events involving Mr Eight and beach volleyball-didnt seem over the line to me

actually its on now in the other room, some track events. Im guessing the announcers talking mostly about the americans is what you mean by biased?
              if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

When did the UK get good at winning things?

I'm confused.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

The 2nd stand at Alamo. DaShi and SlowwHand and an army of volunteers.
                  Volunteers!? I want trained professionals. I don't want to lose this thing again!
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                    When did the UK get good at winning things?

I'm confused.
                    Split the winnings down by nationality, that'll give us better totals...
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                    X