I give up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I give up

That's it. I give up. Even the damn elite of my country is worthless. Educated, middle-class and above, read the newspaper, and utterly worthless.

India's largest English language newspaper, The Times of India, had this to report as the result of its daily poll:

Is there too much freedom in our country?

Yes: 66%
    No: 32%
    Can't Say: 2%
    What makes this all the more horrifying is that this was asked on Independence Day. That's right, we're denigrating our freedom on the very day on which we're supposed to celebrate it and honour those who fought so that we could have it.

I sometimes wonder what the point it. If everybody wants to live in an authoritarian hellhole, why shouldn't the lovers of freedom simply migrate away to the Western world and let the country go the the dogs? After all, that's what the people actually want, anyway.

I ask: is there any point to being a nationalist and a patriot if the very best of your people are like this?

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
      I ask: is there any point to being a nationalist and a patriot if the very best of your people are like this?
      There is no reason at all to be a nationalist let alone a patriot for a country like India.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Too much freedom. Fascinating.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Maybe they're right. I hear you can even reject arranged marriages these days
          Unbelievable!

Comment

Yeah, there are even those that thinks widow burnings isn't OK
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

They mean freedom for the lower castes, not for themselves.

ACK!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Of course. How silly of me.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

aneeshm: keep fighting the good fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
                    They mean freedom for the lower castes, not for themselves.
                    QFT
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I would just move to the West aneeshm. There's something about eastern cultures. I don't think it's just people in India who think that way. Chinese people think like that too.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

It's likely because of different influences. The ancient Chinese influence is far more in serving the society and the state than than your own individual self interest (IIUC), while the West gets its influences from ancient Athens and the Roman Republic, which, while not to the levels of today's modern society set into place some ideals about individualism.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Freedom is its own tyranny. Too much choice can paralyze people, who fear making the wrong choice. In traditional systems, people know what they are supposed to do and what is expected of them. It is a much easier way to live. The fact that we prefer more choices in the West neither makes us superior or inferior to those who chose differently.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Re: I give up

Originally posted by aneeshm
                            ...and let the country go the the dogs?
                            Wouldn't going to the dogs already be an improvement?
                            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Without a link, though, we don't know what was really asked.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                              X