Just William

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just William

I've read this series of books as a child, and I still love them. The author's humour and insight into human nature is absolutely enthralling. The books are also neither moralising nor dumbed down for children. Probably that's what I liked most about them - the sheer joy and humour of the whole series.

Has anyone else read them? And if not, what are your favourite childhood books which you can still enjoy reading today?

Never heard abaout them.

One of my preferred readingings when a boy was written by Captain Marryat and Jules Verne (oh, and a lot of others, but they were danish, so won't say you much).
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I thought you were going to say they are items of propaganda from your former imperialist aggressors
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
        I thought you were going to say they are items of propaganda from your former imperialist aggressors
        QFT
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

They are. But they're anti-imperialist propaganda.

Comment

I loved my copy of the 'Just So Stories' from my childhood. Wish I still had it.
            Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
            -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Working...
            X