Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All I want are planes with FRICKIN' LASERS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All I want are planes with FRICKIN' LASERS!

Boeing tests ground-attack laser

Boeing Tests Entire Weapon System on Advanced Tactical Laser Aircraft

ST. LOUIS, Aug. 13, 2008 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] has successfully completed the first ground test of the entire weapon system integrated aboard the Advanced Tactical Laser (ATL) aircraft, achieving a key milestone in the ATL Advanced Concept Technology Demonstration program.

During the test Aug. 7 at Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M., the ATL aircraft, a C-130H, fired its high-energy chemical laser through its beam control system. The beam control system acquired a ground target and guided the laser beam to the target, as directed by ATL's battle management system. The laser passes through a rotating turret on the aircraft's belly.

"By firing the laser through the beam control system for the first time, the ATL team has begun to demonstrate the functionality of the entire weapon system integrated aboard the aircraft," said Scott Fancher, vice president and general manager of Boeing Missile Defense Systems. "This is a major step toward providing the ultra-precision engagement capability that the warfighter needs to dramatically reduce collateral damage."

After conducting additional tests on the ground and in the air, the program will demonstrate ATL's military utility by firing the laser in-flight at mission-representative ground targets later this year.

On May 13, the high-energy laser was fired aboard the ATL aircraft for the first time, demonstrating reliable operations previously achieved in a laboratory. During that test, an onboard calorimeter captured the laser beam before it left the aircraft.

ATL, which Boeing is developing for the U.S. Department of Defense, will destroy, damage or disable targets with little to no collateral damage, supporting missions on the battlefield and in urban operations. Boeing's ATL industry team includes L-3 Communications/Brashear, which made the laser turret, and HYTEC Inc., which made various structural elements of the weapon system.

And

TL aircraft and its high-energy laser are said to be capable of supernatural accuracy

Lasers have long been the stuff of science fiction and dreams, but good ideas have a habit of moving from fiction into the realm of reality. Boeing is certainly moving the laser from the realm of fiction into reality as a tactical weapon.

Boeing announced that it successfully completed the first ground test of the entire weapon system integrated onboard the Advanced Tactical Laser (ATL) aircraft. Boeing said on August 7 at Kirtland Air Force Base in New Mexico, the ATL aircraft successfully fired its high-energy chemical laser through the aircraft beam control system. According to Boeing, this achievement is a key milestone in the ATL aircraft Technology Demonstration Program.

During the ground test, the laser beam control system acquired a ground target and guided the laser beam to the target as directed by the ATL aircraft battle management system. The laser beam was passed through the rotating turret on the belly of the ATL aircraft.

Scott Fancher, vice president and general manager of Boeing Missile Defense Systems said in a statement, "By firing the laser through the beam control system for the first time, the ATL team has begun to demonstrate the functionality of the entire weapon system integrated aboard the aircraft. This is a major step toward providing the ultra-precision engagement capability that the warfighter needs to dramatically reduce collateral damage."

Boeing also reported that on May 13, the ATL aircraft's high-energy laser was fired from aboard the aircraft, but during that test an onboard calorimeter captured the laser beam before it left the aircraft. Boeing reported that after conducting additional ground tests and air tests, the ATL aircraft will then fire the laser in-flight at a ground target later this year.

Boeing stated that accuracy is the hallmark for the ATL aircraft and its high-energy chemical laser, but the company is rather coy on exactly how accurate the laser is. Wired stated that the ATL aircraft and its high-energy laser are capable of phenomenal accuracy during the day or at night.

Wired also added that the nature of the laser weapon and its accuracy allows for plausible deniability in the face of any direct action performed with the ATL aircraft. The only thing a witness would see is the result of the laser hitting the target. The ability for the ATL aircraft in the high-energy chemical laser to strike without attribution reportedly appears in two separate briefing documents delivered by Air Force personnel describing the benefits of the new directed energy weapon.

Another exceptionally impressive aspect of the ATL aircraft and the high-energy laser is that the laser operators and mission planners can choose at will whether the laser is lethal or non-lethal. The laser can be used to either destroy a vehicle completely, or simply blow out tires rendering the vehicle inoperable.

Wired showed an image depicting the phenomenal speed and accuracy of the laser, which claims that the ATL aircraft could in theory, in a mere 26 second engagement strike 32 different tires, 11 antenna, three missile launchers, 11 EO devices, four mortars, and five machine guns in a convoy of military vehicles. The entire strike could be done without hitting one single soldier or refugees nearby. If the capabilities of the ATL and its high-energy laser live up to the claims, it will simply be a phenomenal weapon platform.
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

All I want are planes with FRICKIN' LASERS!

* is

When will LordShiva be back, anyway?

Comment

plural so are is correct.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Wrong. Plural doesn't enter into it. The thing he wants is planes with..

"The thing" / "All" is what controls it, not "planes".

Comment

Winston's correct, unfortunately... the subject determines the plural/singular nature of the verb.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
            Wrong. Plural doesn't enter into it. The thing he wants is planes with..

"The thing" / "All" is what controls it, not "planes".
            Ooohhh...listen to the big man English major.

I bet you call "Smokey the Bear" "Smokey Bear", don't you?
            Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Smokey Bear.. Schmokey Bear!

I win.

Close this thread, please.

Comment

Winston
                "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Maybe one day you squids will have what the Air Force is using now.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

English?

We speaking American here.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      We're putting 'em on our Destroyers. I want a USS Robert A. Heinlein, Dammnit!

Comment

Whatever, the Airforce is still pissed most of the astronauts are Navy, and we all know this thing is really to counter the Martian threat.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Oh, please. Have you been drinking with Navy recruiters, feeding you bull**** on the side? Come on, Pat. You know as well as I that Navy are just Air Force wannabes that couldn't pass the entrance exams.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            Oh, please. Have you been drinking with Navy recruiters, feeding you bull**** on the side? Come on, Pat. You know as well as I that Navy are just Air Force wannabes that couldn't pass the entrance exams.
                            Air Force=Bunch of deployment free pussies.

Comment

old news.
                              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                              X