Musharraf to Resign in the Next Few Days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musharraf to Resign in the Next Few Days

Rather than be impeached (and without military support), Musharraf says he'll step down. Thanks to Arrian, as well, for alerting me to this (Arrian can't start threads at work):

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — Faced with desertions by his political supporters and the neutrality of the Pakistani military, President Pervez Musharraf of Pakistan, an important ally of the United States, is expected to resign in the next few days rather than face impeachment charges, Pakistani politicians and Western diplomats said Thursday.

His departure from office is likely to unleash new instability in the country as the two main parties in the civilian government jockey for the division of power.

The details of how Mr. Musharraf would exit, and whether he would be able to stay in Pakistan — apparently his strong preference — or would seek residency abroad were now under discussion, the politicians said.

Mr. Musharraf was expected to resign before the coalition presented charges for impeachment to the Parliament early next week, said Nisar Ali Khan, a senior official in the Pakistani Muslim League-N, the minority partner in the coalition government.

Similarly, Sheikh Mansoor Ahmed, a senior official of the Pakistan People’s Party, the major party in the coalition, said on Thursday that the president would probably leave in the “next 72 hours.”

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Bye Bye Mushy, you won't really be missed.

Hey, at least he isn't being sent into exile, or being executed, yet.....
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Since the civilian government was supposed to take power, does Musharraf have any power now anyway?
      -rmsharpe

Comment

He's President, a position of considerable power, for at least for the next few days...
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

Thanks, Imran.

I won't miss Mushman per se, but one does have to worry a bit about what comes after.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

They recently promised to send commandos to Waziristan.

The idea that a popularly elected gov't would operate with less freedom against the Islamic Emirate of Wazirstan than Mushy is largely a myth. We bought him, and we're just as easily buying the PPP/PML-N. Except this government doesn't have to worry about losing power to popular institutions, and therefore doesn't need to rely on a coalition with Islamists and the folks at ISI to maintain support.

As I said in the other thread, a competent crew at State would go a long way here. This is ultimately about balance of power politics.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

Re: Musharraf to Resign in the Next Few Days

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              (Arrian can't start threads at work):
              *giggles*
              Blah

Comment

grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Nah, nothing. Just me displaying Schadenfreude
                  Blah

Comment

The US will miss Musharraf and his policies, but the Pakis won't. The Paki army will also miss Musharraf, as he had some control over the ISI. Now the ISI will be much freer to undermine anti-terrorist efforts and stir up internal politics thru selected killing and other hijinx. Another case of "May you live in interesting times" being a curse.
                    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I'm not sure Musharraf had all that much power over the ISI... no one does really. Its like of like the FBI under Hoover. They are their own power that no one really controls.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                      X