And the cops get away with it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the cops get away with it.

Some of you may remember the thread we had on this incident right after Katrina hit New Orleans. Right after the city flooded white cops took up position on a bridge into a white suburb and blocked the bridge to prevent black refugees from fleeing to safety in the "white" part of town. When a group of blacks refused to be turned away by the racist cops the police opened fire on them killing two and wounding four more. One of the dead was a 40 year old mentally retarded black man who was shot seven times in the back.

The seven cops who committed these murders just got off on a legal technicality.

Katrina shooting case collapses

A US judge has thrown out charges of murder or attempted murder against seven New Orleans policemen involved in a shooting after Hurricane Katrina.

The police officers were accused of firing on unarmed people crossing a bridge during the chaos which followed the flooding of the city.

Two men died and four were wounded in the shooting on the Danziger Bridge.

The judge ruled that prosecutors had violated state law by divulging secret grand jury testimony to a witness.

Survivors of the shooting on 4 September 2005 have said that police officers fired at unarmed people crossing the bridge to get food at a grocery store.

Ronald Madison, a 40-year-old mentally disabled man, and James Brissette, 19, were shot and killed, and four other people were wounded.

While the police officers have acknowledged shooting at people on the bridge, they say they only did so after first coming under fire.

Investigators later revealed that at least some of the shooting was by residents trapped by floodwater trying to attract the attention of rescue parties.

Sgt Kenneth Bowen, Sgt Robert Gisevius Jr, Officer Anthony Villavaso II and former Officer Robert Faulcon Jr had each faced first-degree murder and attempted murder charges in the case.

Officer Mike Hunter Jr and Officer Robert Barrios had faced attempted first-degree murder charges, and Officer Ignatius Hills had faced attempted second-degree murder charges.

Officer Faulcon resigned from the police force while the others were assigned to desk duty after their indictment, the Associated Press reports.

District Judge Raymond Bigelow also ruled that prosecutors had wrongly instructed the grand jury, and that grand jury testimony by three of the officers was used against them improperly.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

That's a bit more than a technicality ... sounds more like they get off due to prosecutorial misconduct.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

When will those blacks learn their place?
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Investigators later revealed that at least some of the shooting was by residents trapped by floodwater trying to attract the attention of rescue parties.
        Another reason not to allow civilians to own guns, if police think they are under attack when disaster victims shoot in the air to get attention.
        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

"We don't want no negros buying food at grocery stores in white neighborhoods!" Shooting a mentally retarded man seven times in the back as he tries to flee a destroyed city should have gotten those cops hanged. No ifs, no ands, and no buts. They were cold blooded racist killers in the worst southern tradition.

I won't even bother pointing out how illegal it is to deny people use of public roads because of their race.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
            "We don't want no negros buying food at grocery stores in white neighborhoods!" Shooting a mentally retarded man seven times in the back as he tries to flee a destroyed city should have gotten those cops hanged. No ifs, no ands, and no buts. They were cold blooded racist killers in the worst southern tradition.

I won't even bother pointing out how illegal it is to deny people use of public roads because of their race.
            Better not post that message HERE because the sentiment is to allow people to do whatever they want and turn the other cheek.

for saying bad things about people, (JUST KIDDING!!!)

Gramps
            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Saw these two threads together - couldn't resist
              Attached Files
              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                That's a bit more than a technicality ... sounds more like they get off due to prosecutorial misconduct.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Better not post that message HERE because the sentiment is to allow people to do whatever they want and turn the other cheek.
                  So you think that the appropriate punishment here is killing these cops?
                  "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                  -Bokonon

Comment

An illegal alien got shot in the buttocks ( I hear Forrest Gump) south of San Diego after the illegals started chunking rocks. Presumably, the border control officer is getting away with it. What are we to do? Oh, golly.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      An illegal alien got shot in the buttocks ( I hear Forrest Gump) south of San Diego after the illegals started chunking rocks. Presumably, the border control officer is getting away with it. What are we to do? Oh, golly.
                      Setting aside the fact that the article quoted in Oerdin's OP doesn't support his interpretation of what occurred, what we have here is American cops shooting Americans. What in the hell does the border patrol shooting a would-be illegal immigrant have to do with it?

In other words, what are you talking about Sloww?

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Still law enforcement. We have to stay confined to New Orleans?
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo

So you think that the appropriate punishment here is killing these cops?
                          No not at all

I was referencing many posters who thought we should not execute murderers but turn the other cheek plus many a varied respone...

not calling people names, just sharing the irony that here we have a poster advocating shooting a police officer who dupposedly did something wrong and when someone was convicted and sentenced bot wanting that person put to death.....
                          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                            Prosecutorial misconduct IS a technicality.

There's still a covey of civil actions out there for the violation of civil rights.

Comment

Working...
                            X