Moving on up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving on up

I started working for an internet gaming site back in May, and just 3 or 4 weeks ago now I was promoted into the poker department. Last week I found out that there was a new position opening up for Tournament Coordinator, so I threw my hat into the ring for that, not expecting to get the position as I'd only just recently been promoted and have less experience than other potential applicants.

So I just got an e-mail saying I have an interview for the position tomorrow. This company doesn't waste time interviewing with people if they aren't being heavily considered because it means taking me off my post to do it. I know others who have been just flat out told when they aren't going to get the job, so I'm in pretty high spirits right now.

But I'm not exactly sure what the position entails. Also, its a video interview with a guy in Vancouver. I've never done a video interview before, so I'm afraid I'm going to find some way to mess this interview up. Any tips ya'll?
    Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

1. If nobody else applied for the position, perhaps there's a reason... However, it could just be that they like you and think you're a strong fit for the position (or want to keep you in the company). Do check around with your coworkers to make sure this isn't a ****ty position, though.

2. Video interview: I haven't had this, but the standard rules should apply. Dress well, especially the top part (as you probably won't be seen below the waist), wear something with a lot of contrast so you show up more clearly, and make sure you speak loud enough and clear enough for the mike to pick you up (enunciate clearly).

3. Standard stuff: Make sure you have a strong understanding of the position you are applying to, be serious about it (don't imply you just tossed your hat in the ring for the heck of it), and keep eye contact and such. Since you're not sure of what the position entails ... ask around Also, wouldn't hurt to have participated in tournaments yourself so to be aware of how they comport themselves and what sort of things seem to come up. (Of course, if you can find a current coordinator to ask questions of, so much the better.)

Good luck
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Well to be sure, I applied for the position because I wanted it. However finding information on it beyond the job posting has been hard so far. I'm definitely going to research it before the interview though. I'm going to ask a supervisor about it as well, as they should know the most about the position.

Thanks for the tips on the video interview. I'm really kinda clueless as far as those go.

Comment

2. Video interview: I haven't had this, but the standard rules should apply. Dress well, especially the top part (as you probably won't be seen below the waist), wear something with a lot of contrast so you show up more clearly, and make sure you speak loud enough and clear enough for the mike to pick you up (enunciate clearly).
        To expand on this, don't wear pants. It will make you more comfortable.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

So I did the interview. It went great for the most part, however I got the sinking feeling that they'd prefer someone with a business degree for the job. I was told afterward by someone in the know however that unless I shot myself in the foot somehow, I was the leading candidate as far as he knew.

They encouraged me to contact them with any questions, in the kind of way that implied that if I didnt have any questions about the job, I wouldnt get the job, so I sent them off a few. They seemed to think they were pretty strong questions.

I found out that if I get the job, there's a potential for paid trips to Vegas. They also seem to enjoy my sense of humor.

Comment

what kind of job do you have now?
            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

During interviews, I always like to ask the questions I would ask if I already had the job. I like candidates that do that when I interview them because it makes them looked focused, competent and confident. (assuming that it's not a stupid question. )
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Indeed... "What sort of raises are there for Top Performers" is a good one (as you imply you will be one ...), "What sort of benefits package is there", "Where will I be working", and in this case, "What kind of hotel do you put me up in Vegas"...

Comment

but refrain from asking if strippers would be considered Misc. sundries.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Oooo, video interviews.

I've done some of those. Be sure not to rush things -- if you take off all of your clothes at once they get bored. You need to seduce them, put some flair into it.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                      During interviews, I always like to ask the questions I would ask if I already had the job. I like candidates that do that when I interview them because it makes them looked focused, competent and confident
                      if not arrogant.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Well, you managed to find employment...

Seriously, arrogance is a perfectly fine trait, as long as it is self aware arrogance. The difference between someone who is arrogant and unaware of it (and therefore will make stupid mistakes) and someone who is arrogant and knows it (so will watch himself to make sure his arrogance stays accurate) is the difference between a terrible hire and an excellent one.

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                          but refrain from asking if strippers would be considered Misc. sundries.
                          Actually rah, your post should have read misc.UNDIES
                          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

@ troll. Correct but that's not a line item on my expense reports like sundries.

And yeah Asher, there is a fine line between appearing competent and cocky. But as Snoop says, a little cocky is not necessarily a bad thing. A lot of cocky doesn't do it for me. (wording was selected specifically for asher's benefit)
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                              what kind of job do you have now?
                              I'm currently doing phone and tech support in the poker department of a major American online gaming site. It's just really phone support, but the brass seem to very much like me and have me pegged for better things.

If I get this promotion, I'll be one of the companies two Tournament Coordinators, which means I'll be helping to decide what tournaments we offer and how they will work.

Comment

Working...
                              X