Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh great Gaming Gods of the Sky, help me...(windows won't recognise my dvd drive)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh great Gaming Gods of the Sky, help me...(windows won't recognise my dvd drive)

Well, my gaming days are over.
    My dvd drive isn't being recognised by windows. I have no real clue as to why this is. It just sort of happened. Help???
    "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

When did this start?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Just a couple hours back. The last 'significant' thing I did was move my laptop while it was still on to another room and set it down on a table. Not roughly, either. And now my poor dvd player might be going to dvd heaven unless you guys help. He seems fine, that's the weird thing--put in a cd and he'll make those normal scanning noises, but open up 'my computer' and windows will act like nothing is there (not the cd, not the drive itself).
      "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Unistall your cd/dvd driver and let reinstall itself, then reboot.

Or find a firmware upgrade for your model.

Comment

Whack it with a hammer, and remind what happened to floppy disk drives.

It will soon stop sulking
          Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
          Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

TheStinger: I think there are new domestic violence laws against that sort of thing though...

Propaganda and Oerdin: first off thank you. Secondly--the driver was out of date, I updated it, BUT the problem remains.

Comment

Have you tried completely unistalling from Device Manager? The only thing I can guarantee will work, unless it is a hardware issue, is "upgrading" Vista, meaning reinstalling it.

Comment

If you have Nero, give access rights to everything. Also, check your Admin Status, maybe you dont have all the permissions checked.

Comment

Maybe something just got disconnected? Are all cables in place?

Comment

Well, it's a laptop, so I assume nothing can get disconnected...can it?
                    I don't have Nero...I have XP...I guess I'll have to track down the install disc. Thank you for you help!

Comment

Laptops have some connectors too inside, which theoretically can slip out. Or one conductor inside a cable is broken. Or a soldered joint broke. Or something like that. Just guessing, because in this case the drive would behave like yours. Take the disc, scan it, but Windows doesn't get any data.

Comment

One thing to check - see if windows has installed any patches during the last few days (if you have automated updates enabled).

I'd also take a peek to BIOS settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Propaganda
                          If you have Nero, give access rights to everything. Also, check your Admin Status, maybe you dont have all the permissions checked.
                          Oh, man. I so hate NERO because even after you uninstall it the software still has three programs which auto start at boot up and all three are memory hogs. They were a bit of a pan to remove just like Microsoft's groovemonitor utility.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Julian Delphiki
                            One thing to check - see if windows has installed any patches during the last few days (if you have automated updates enabled).

I'd also take a peek to BIOS settings.
                            It has patched recently (I have XP).
                            I dunno about BIOS though. How do I do that/what do I look for?
                            Edit: Does anyone have or recommend a good, cheap external dvd drive?

Comment

Getting to bios settings depends on what laptop you do have... IIRC bios on these Thinkpads i currently have can be accessed by pressing F2 or F10 during the boot up. You can see message there quite often saying how to do it. Otherwise, consult the manual.

I would just look if there any relevant choices for things like DVD/ide autodetection etc...

Few years back some XP updates always killed one HP laptop i had to maintain so you could try also rolling back those updates that have been installed after the last time you remember the DVD drive working...

Comment

Working...
                              X