Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Serb

Novgorod republic
    A republic and a democracy are two different beasts.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
      Although sometimes they can be a beast with two backs.

Comment

• It was only time before Shakespeare showed up in this thread. Elvis??? RU there?
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

So you admit Obama is a member of the elite!!!
          I like him and will vote for him and I think it is important that he is president.

But yeah, he is a member of the elite.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Same sh!t in a different package.
            As JM said nobles do the ruling al the way.
            j/k.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              So you admit Obama is a member of the elite!!!
              What's Mrs. McCain's net worth??

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                You 'save' the Ukraine by talking to Russia as an equal.

You stop lecturing them and hectoring them.

You stop turning ground on new bases ever closer to them.

Ivan is paranoid. They don't give a **** what the plebes do in the fields around them. They care a great deal what anyone in a uniform does, especially if it could be regarded as a threat.

They don't react well to being left out of the invitations to the ball. Russia is not some piss-ant country that people hold meetings to talk about as if the retarded child can't hear them and Russia's reaction will not matter. They want to be part of the scene. They react well to being included. They react very poorly to being excluded and having their next door neighbours join associations for the defence of the neighbourhood that they are never invited to.

You save the Ukraine by not driving Russia to be an enemy, if it's not too late.
                QFMFT

Note that Georgia would have been just fine if they did not choose to deal with their **** in the dumbest way possible.
                Quendelie axan!

Comment

• Originally posted by Serb

Same sh!t in a different package.
                  As JM said nobles do the ruling al the way.
                  j/k.
                  Not in the least. A republic is where representatives are selected to run the government. They may be representatives of the nobles or the merchants or the people. Nazi Germany was a republic, as was the USSR. Neither can remotely be considered democracies.

A democracy is where the people rule. They may do so through a republic or they may rule directly. Merchant and noble republics aren't democratic.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Truth to be told, I don't know a single democracy in the whole world. Those who call themselves democracies today (and are lecturing others with their morale finger raised), are mostly plutocracies.

Comment

• All existing democracies are very small scale. Some New England towns are direct democracies.

Comment

• In the case of a word like DEMOCRACY, not only is there no agreed definition, but the attempt to make one is resisted from all sides. It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it: consequently the defenders of every kind of régime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning. Words of this kind are often used in a consciously dishonest way. That is, the person who uses them has his own private definition, but allows his hearer to think he means something quite different.

# All the experience the Chinese people have accumulated through several decades teaches us to enforce the people's democratic dictatorship, that is, to deprive the reactionaries of the right to speak and let the people alone have that right.
                        On n'exporte pas la démocratie dans un fourgon blindé.

Democracy is ethically right but intellectually void.
                        Democracy spam threadi
                        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

• Originally posted by Saras

Democracy brought to you by Swedish Vikings
                          While I do acknlowledge the viking start of Kievan Ruthenia, I doubt You could say the sort of municipial republic that existed in Nowogrod and Pskow is a viking invention: it's much later on, and there were tribal democracies all over slavic world, f.e. Wieleci and Obodrzyce condederations.

On the other hand, this "republicanic" tradition in Russia was completely lost, and Nowogrod itself de facto destroyed.
                          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                          Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                          X