How can we save Ukraine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Harovan

Well, let's put for a moment the fact aside, that I have sympathies for Russia, and you antipathies, and try to think of it without any emotions.

There is a people in a certain region, separated by a border drawn by Stalin at a time when borders didn't play much of a role because all was one country anyway. I know and respect your feelings thinking of this time, but it happened and can not be discussed away.

Now a part of this people, right or wrong, stood up against their host and tried to secede. This happened 16 years ago and after several months of bloody fights, a truce has been reached and a peace was negotiated. Its conditions were to let the region have its autonomy (without however to let it secede completely), and to build a force of peacekeepers. This force consisted of troops from both parts of the people in question, and of their particular hosts. Doesn't sound too unreasonable, if putting away all prejudices (which was condition, remember?)

Now one side unilaterally decided to screw it and to get the renegade province back to the empire. Again, right or wrong, it doesn't matter. They choose a time where they think they can get away with it and let their tanks roll and their artillery fire. And it can't be denied that Georgia started it.

Yea I know, you heard of an obscure "armored column" approaching from Russia. But think of it: Such a large scale operation as the Georgian one can't be started right away from garrison duty hours after getting some recon. It demands preparing, transporting and amassing troops, and this will last several days. So if that column really existed, which I didn't hear about, I'm rather inclined to believe it was vice versa: The Russians saw what was coming for them and decided to bring reinforcements. But that are speculations.

Now we have a situation, where a region with a peacekeeping force in it is under attack. What military in the world worth a damn would allow this? What do you think the Americans would have done if Serbia rolled 2006 with tanks into Kosovo (still their province!) and shelled Pristina? It doesn't play a role if it is right or wrong, and not even if and how many people are killed. Nobody worth a toss will allow it, the attacker will be crushed first and questions asked later. And that's what we have seen in the past days.

Now let's hope the fighting is over and reason returns. To both sides, I may add.

Comment

• Originally posted by Serb
      Long time before such country as US existed.

I awate this proof of Russian democracy prior to 1776.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Now let's hope the fighting is over and reason returns. To both sides, I may add.
        :desire:

Comment

• Originally posted by Saras
          how about them quoting numbers of wounded civilians in hospitals not exceeding hundreds - assuming a 1:3 killed/wounded ratio, the 2000 figure looks very suspect.
          Never thought about such little things as:
          a) they are talking about numbers of wounded evaquated to the North Ossetia (out of battle zone)
          b) that majority of wounded are still in the battle zone, 'cause some of them can't be transported bue to their condition and due to the fact that Georgians are attacking red cross convoys heading from the SO
          c) the wounded stayed without medical help, hidding in cellars, 'cause there was a war on surface and that dramatically increased the death rates?
          d) and the most important - I know you can't imagine that your beloved Hitlershvili could issue an order to don't take prisoners and shoot any Ossetian on sight. But, the eyewitnesses say his soldiers were killing civilian people mostly, executed captured and finished off the wounded.
          Last edited by Serb; August 12, 2008, 17:24.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

I awate this proof of Russian democracy prior to 1776.
            Novgorod republic

Comment

Novgorod republic
              Democracy brought to you by Swedish Vikings
              Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
              Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Bingo.

Why the hell did you bother with the first 5 then? If that's the prevailing attitude, the "West" needs to build thousands of Abrams, Leo2A6 and Chally 2s, forward deploy to Baltics and Poland, admit Georgia to NATO tomorrow, quadruple the navies and airforces, lure China away from the weird relationship with you (don't know how yet, but no one has really tried) in some way and see Russia die a fiscal death. Again.

Is that what you want?
                Hell, why not? Last time that was fun. Those were the days.
                Just face it - this world is so ****-ed up. It needs some cleanesing nuclear fire.
                Then we will start a new civilization... yeah, we will start... but first I need to finish my last beer.

Comment

Western propaganda

Comment

And there I was, thinking what a great peacemaker uberdiplomat I am

Damn you Serb, you, you... FASCIST!!
                    Hi, nazi, I'm glad to see you to. well not so glad, actually. Goodwin rocks
                    Last edited by Serb; August 12, 2008, 17:26.

Comment

• A democracy... controlled by the nobles (ie, the boyers). Its like calling the Roman Republic a Democracy!
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• How is that different than what we have here?

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Good one

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller
                            How is that different than what we have here?

JM
                            So you admit Obama is a member of the elite!!!

Comment

Novgorod republic
                              I doubt if any political scholar today would classify this as a republic but it was very progressive for its day.

Comment

QFSwedish Vikings
                                The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Working...
                                X