• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's war. WW2 spam threadi part 2.

Rules:

- its October 2nd 1939
    - Everyone is in the country they are currently in
    - Everyone must pretend like they don't know what is going to happen in the next few years
    - Every day that passes in the real world passes in the 1939 threadi world as well.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Old threadi closed by mod aggressors
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

I presume we are suspending time so that I am actually born and can make a living. (I work on stuff that won't be invented for 40 years, or operational for 10 years after that, but has gone thru 6 generations in the last 20 years.) In 1939, I am working on cutting edge military stuff, and the big talk is the GERMAN invasion of Poland and the French and British reaction. The Russian role is being totally ignored, even in Washington, where at least some people have access to this information.

At this time, the US is still selling scrap metal to the Japanese, based on the theory that increased trade will reduce the potential for tension and conflict. The demand for this material is rising in the US due to the 1938 decision to build a bunch more warships.

Mostly we get news by newspaper. Washington has four papers. The tendency to be frantic in that news environment is very limited. Almost everyone in Washington is underestimating German capabilities given the number of tanks and fortresses in France.
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Why not make this infinitely easier by starting on 12 August 1939?
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
          Old threadi closed by mod aggressors
          I hope this one doesn't suffer the same fate.
          It's never a good idea to ***** about an old thread being closed when opening a new one.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Crud. Those stupid Europeans are at it again. When will they ever learn to get along? You don't see we Amercans starting any wars, do you?

But it's beautiful here in L.A. Should I go see The Wizard of Oz or Gone with the Wind?

Comment

Depends on how pro-war you are.

"The wizard of Oz" is not about war, while "Gone with the wind" is.
              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

/me remembers hearing of his grandfather, "Doughboy Don" as they called him, being in the Argonne Forest. He hasnt been the same since that war, many good people died, surely this we will learn from.Its their problem, I mean, politics, what could really happen?
                Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I hear the Myans and Nostdomous predicted that the world will end in 1940!

Go Reds! Yankees suck! Penant starts in 2 days you yutz's
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Our ancestors are from Germany

I wonder how the family is doing?

We must visit them one day, perhaps, even a nice cruise ship would do our whole family well
                    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
                      "The wizard of Oz" is not about war
                      I believe it is, just the combattants are witches and their particular people. They don't have tanks but tin men, and their air force are flying monkeys.

Comment

Originally posted by Chemical Ollie
                        Depends on how pro-war you are.

"The wizard of Oz" is not about war, while "Gone with the wind" is.
                        Damn Yankees! Just like Grandma said.
                        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

*I emmigrated to Sweden today, so I'm out of this ****

Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Harovan

I believe it is, just the combattants are witches and their particular people. They don't have tanks but tin men, and their air force are flying monkeys.
                            I thought it was about reinstating the gold standard.
                            "

Comment

Well, my prime minister just told me that I can sleep safely so that's what I'm going to do.
                              We the dutch will most probably be neutral again anyway.

Now I'm going to tell my wife to hurry cleaning the house and finishing my food now
                              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Working...
                              X