Upcoming Phils trip update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming Phils trip update

We still aren't sure whether it will be November or January. Clemente has to take a test as part of his citizenship. Depending on that we should know more about our travel plans in late September or October. Sorry for the late notice.

I've been thinking about what you guys might bring depending on how much extra room you have in you're luggage after your done loading whatever you are bringing. Each luggage shouldn't weigh more than 45 or 50 lbs depending on whether we land in Cebu or Manila. Carry on is limited to 15 lbs.

Here's some options...

Canned food, roast beef is a goodun and last trip we couldn't find on Bohol.

Other good ones...

Ravioli
    Turkey
    Chili
    Whole wheat flour

I'll add to this as I think of it.

Philippine toilet paper isn't good and is spendy. Any you bring will be helpful.

Gifts are nice to bring. You'll meet lots of nice people, eat at their houses, and its nice to give them something from the US. The women like American soap, like Olay and perfume. You can get copy perfumes at WalMart pretty cheap.

If you go nuts like we do and want to send lots of stuff I can tell you about a Philippine shipper that ships a 2' X 2' box for $65 or $70 depending. We've sent 5 so far and will send another 5 later this month. Don't go crazy, but if you do, let me know.

That's it for now, will add more stuff as I think of it.
    Last edited by Lancer; August 12, 2008, 15:21.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Who's the shipper of the 2x2 box thingie? That's probably the way I'll go. (I know you told me once, but my brain seems to have a hole in it and stuff keeps falling out. )

I have to renew my drivers' license in January. Maybe I can do it before hand, but Arnold's just laid off all temporary state workers in California, most of them were working at the DMV, and so things there are a mess there right now.

& didn't you once tell me that the cheapest time to buy plane tickets is three months before the flight? Three months before November is NOW ; three months before January is October.

Comment

LBC Shipping... http://www.teamlbc.com/01prd.html

I ran a few tickets at several dates out from today and within a month the prices settle down and don't change.

Tickets...http://www.asaptickets.com/

Isn't there somewhere you can send a check to get a new license? That sounds like a grim situation. What if you drove up to some small town DMV office in NoCal? Go see the Redwoods or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
        That sounds like a grim situation.
        Ehh. California is one of only three states which requires a 2/3 vote for a budget. So it's a rare year that we get a budget on time.

This time it's a little worse than normal because Arnie decided to start willy nilly firing people. It'll be messy for a few more weeks or months, then something will happen, a budget will get passed, and we'll all get back to normal (--okay, to what passes for normal in California.)

Comment

2'x2' for 65$ ?! I remember at the Intnl Market in Indy you could get a much larger box for the same price!
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Whatever works.

Comment

And we already helped put roofs over 2 o' dem peoples houses. What else they want?
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

When was it that you could get much bigger boxes there for $65? Recently?

I called DHL, they wanted over $400

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
                  And we already helped put roofs over 2 o' dem peoples houses. What else they want?
                  Food.

Comment

Re: Upcoming Phils trip update

Canned food, roast beef is a goodun and last trip we couldn't find on Bohol.

Other good ones...

Ravioli
                    Turkey
                    I was shopping last night, and I espied* cans of spagetti, black beans, barbequed beans, pinto beans, other kinds of beans, chili, and various fruits and vegetables. Should these be added to your list?

Comment

The American style food will be for us Americans. If someone comes to the house for help, which they sometimes do, we give beggers 10 or 20 pesos. If its one of Dolores's friends it can be alot more. They can use it to buy their own food.

We make a good spag there but its marinara. One of the things we'll use the canned roast beef for is making meat sauce.

Black beans, not sure about that, don't recall seeing them there.

BBQ beans, they have plenty of those.

Pinto beans, haven't seen those there.

Chili! That's a hit. There was no chili there last time.

We can buy there fruit salad which is excellent, corn, and peas.

I'll add the chili to my suggested list.

Some of this stuff can be bought in Cebu, but then its a pain in the posterior, a spendy one, to get back to Bohol and then Jagna Bohol.

Sometimes the Bohol Malls in Tagbilaran will get new foriegn stuff in, but not too often.

Oh! We have a bread maker. Whole wheat flour! There is no whole wheat there that's any good.

Here's a link to the huge Ayala Mall in Cebu.

Last edited by Lancer; August 12, 2008, 15:21.

Comment

If someone comes to the house for help, which they sometimes do, we give beggers 10 or 20 pesos. If its one of Dolores's friends it can be alot more. They can use it to buy their own food.
                        This ain't no charity. You give money to one of 'em they'll keep coming by. Tell them lazy bums to get a job!

Comment

That's what I tell them in this country where they can always get a McJob.

Comment

Originally posted by Theben

This ain't no charity. You give money to one of 'em they'll keep coming by. Tell them lazy bums to get a job!
                            Lots of Filippinos are happy to work for Lancer. That must say something about the availablity of jobs over there.

Comment

!

Comment

Working...
                              X