Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to (not) do in Toronto?

Good evening.

I'm moving from Australia to Toronto in 2 weeks to start my Ph.d... which will hopefully not consume all of my time. This is my first trip overseas (bar two weeks in NZ when I was 11), let alone my first long term settlement overseas (5 years minimum). So, what's the scoop on TO? What to do? What not to do? Do I have to pissed off that the Maple Leafs suck balls?

Apparently you shouldn't go to propane depots.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Be careful in the strip clubs.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Toronto's a pretty good city to live in. It's certainly got its problems, but then most places do. You're not going to find anyone posting any kind words about it on this board, but I can answer some questions via PM if you want. Be warned I'm not actually around here that much anymore.
        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Re: What to (not) do in Toronto?

Originally posted by Dracon II
          Good evening.

I'm moving from Australia to Toronto in 2 weeks to start my Ph.d... which will hopefully not consume all of my time. This is my first trip overseas (bar two weeks in NZ when I was 11), let alone my first long term settlement overseas (5 years minimum). So, what's the scoop on TO? What to do? What not to do? Do I have to pissed off that the Maple Leafs suck balls?
          People aren't pissed off that the Maple Leafs suck, they're used to it.

Where are you living?
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You may start by not going there in the first place.
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I'll be living in Bloor West Village near high park and runnymede station. So no propane depots or strip joints, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Dracon II
                I'll be living in Bloor West Village near high park and runnymede station. So no propane depots or strip joints, eh?
                Oh, sweet jesus, that's precisely where I live.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Are there any ruins left from when we Yankees burned the town down during the War of 1812?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Oh, sweet jesus, that's precisely where I live.
                    I'm crashing on your couch. Didn't you get my message?

Comment

Are you staying in a high-rise or a house?

Comment

It's actuallly quite a nice city. But it can get cold in the winter.

I was most impressed by its underground infrastructure.

I gained the impression of strong surburban communities.
                        On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Toronto's pretty mild in the winter, from what I'm used to...

What do you mean by the underground infrastructure? The weakass 3-line subway?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                            Toronto's pretty mild in the winter, from what I'm used to...

What do you mean by the underground infrastructure? The weakass 3-line subway?
                            As a visitor, yes that sub way to start. But also the shops and stuff just below street level.

I simply encountered more people, in the city centre area, below ground than above.

Anyway I enjoyed the visit.
                            On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Are you staying in a high-rise or a house?
                              House on windermere.

Toronto's pretty mild in the winter, from what I'm used to
                              Well... its your equivalent of early Feb here in Brisbane, and it is currently 15 degrees centigrade.... which is well below average. A mild winter's day here you can be quite comfortable going to the beach. I'm guessing I won't find a TO winter to be mild... right?

Comment

Working...
                              X