• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military jury convicts bin Laden's driver

Well-done.

By MIKE MELIA
    Associated Press Writer

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba (AP) -- A jury of six military officers at Guantanamo Bay reached a split verdict Wednesday in the war crimes trial of a former driver for Osama bin Laden, clearing him of some charges but convicting him of others that could send him to prison for life.

The Pentagon-selected jury deliberated for about eight hours over three days before convicting Salim Hamdan of supporting terrorism. He was cleared of the conspiracy charge.

Hamdan, who faces a maximum life sentence, held his head in his hands and wept at the defense table after a Navy captain presiding over the jury read the sentence in a hilltop courtroom on this U.S. Navy base.

The judge scheduled a sentencing hearing for later Wednesday.

Defense lawyers had feared a guilty verdict was inevitable, saying the tribunal system's rules seemed designed to achieve convictions, said Navy Lt. Cmdr. Brian Mizer, Salim Hamdan's Pentagon-appointed attorney.

"I don't know if the panel can render fair what has already happened," Mizer told reporters as the jury deliberated.

Hamdan's attorneys said the judge allowed evidence that would not have been admitted by any civilian or military U.S. court, and that interrogations at the center of the government's case were tainted by coercive tactics, including sleep deprivation and solitary confinement.

Supporters of the tribunals said the Bush administration's system provided extraordinary due process rights for defendants.

"This military judge is to be commended for providing a fair and internationally legally sufficient trial for the accused and the government - regardless of the ultimate verdict," said Charles "Cully" Stimson, a former deputy assistant secretary of defense for detainee affairs.

Hamdan was captured at a roadblock in southern Afghanistan in November 2001 and taken to Guantanamo in May 2002.

The military accused him of transporting missiles for al-Qaida and helping bin Laden escape U.S. retribution following the Sept. 11 attacks by driving him around Afghanistan. Defense attorneys said he was merely a low-level bin Laden employee.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

The Pentagon-selected jury deliberated for about eight hours over three days before convicting Salim Hamdan of supporting terrorism. He was cleared of the conspiracy charge.
    Politically, it couldn't be a better outcome. A conviction on both counts would have led many to believe this was a kangaroo court, unable to administer true justice. An acquittal on both counts would have made us look like idiots.

But a guilty charge for supporting terrorism? All but the wholly brainwashed will accept this verdict.

Comment

Um, even according to the prosecution's charges he was basically a menial who transported more important people and materials around. Nothing deserving of life in jail.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

RIP
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I agree the guy should be in jail but the kangaroo tribunals are a complete joke and aren't even remotely fair or impartial.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Sounds like a great victory in the war on terror.
            Blah

Comment

Now how will Bin Laden get around? That's the whole idea. Now we can find him cuz he has no driver!

USA! USA! USA!
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Sorry Sloww, but this way beyond too stupid for words...

But congrats on this major victory in the War on Terror.

Captured in May 2002, trialed (that's the word?) in August 2008. Great justice system And he even had an attorney! For free!

That will show them what the frase Free World means...
                Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                And notifying the next of kin
                Once again...

Comment

I wonder what happened to the tall thin guy who was in the back of the car when Hamden was stopped at the roadblock.

Comment

Hueij, I think this bad attitude you're showing is completely uncalled for. Look at what Che said, then tell me it's too stupid. Yeah. Look. He'll be walking his ass all around Afganistan. Good drivers are hard to find.
                    Look at Harrison.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      Okay Sloww. I'm really not trying to troll here.

What pisses me (and a lot of other non-Americans) off is the way the US are dismissing us. We all know you are the world's #1 right now, but the ****ing arrogance you people show is digusting.

Kyoto, Gizmo, the Star Wars project, the ICJ...

You can only say "**** you rest of the world" that many times.

You want to be the shining light of the Free World? Start ****ing behaving like it.

Three censored words in one post. That's a first in almost ten years here
                      Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                      And notifying the next of kin
                      Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
                        Gizmo
                        Actually, I rather liked Gizmo. He was an important part of Gremlins.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I find this a tepid "victory" at best. The man was aquicted of every single charge that would have created any possible excuse for him being in Guantanamo and part of this highly questionable legal procedure. He could have been sent to a normal federal prison and had his day in a Federal court YEARS ago if all he was guilty of was dirving around Osama and being his bodyguard.
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij

Okay Sloww. I'm really not trying to troll here.

What pisses me (and a lot of other non-Americans) off is the way the US are dismissing us. We all know you are the world's #1 right now, but the ****ing arrogance you people show is digusting.

Kyoto, Gizmo, the Star Wars project, the ICJ...

You can only say "**** you rest of the world" that many times.

You want to be the shining light of the Free World? Start ****ing behaving like it.

Three censored words in one post. That's a first in almost ten years here

What brought on this tirade? I didn't say anything about "Hooray America". If it helps you feel better, that's great. Vent on. Jeez. Some people. Got male menopause hitting you hard?

Comment

Where do we go to send Al Qaeda money?
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X