Does anyone have a theory of forums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have a theory of forums?

Since some of you folks have been here for wayyyyy too long and have an background in stuff like...economics....

I wonder does any of you have developed a model of sorts on the growth, movement and decay of forum populations. What "stages of development" does forums undergo, does forums have a life cycle of some sort and all that stuff.

Or is forums the mysterious result of DL bots?

1- Forum starts. Immediately it's decided that it's going downhill.

2- Slow decline.

3- Disappointing end.

Not so much a cycle as a resigned slump.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I detect some projection in the last post.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

1- Forum starts. There are some idealists who know eachother relatively well, who want to do something about *forum topic* and who are generally able to talk to eachother without getting into flamewars all the time. Moderation is lax or non-existent.

2- Forum grows or dies quickly. If it grows it'll attract all kinds of people interested in *forum topic*. Plus over time all kinds of nutjobs. Tone gets more harsh over time esp. in debates over politics, beliefs etc. Moderation either doesn't care or gets more restrictive.

3- Apolyton
        Blah

Comment

I was expecting some sort of weird riff on Plato from that title...
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

1 - Forum Starts
            2 - After informal introductions threads of substantial gibberish are generated
            3 - Troll
            4 - Spam
            5 - Asher is banned
            6 - Something Happens
            7 - Profit!
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Profit
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                Profit
                Sorry to get your hopes up, rah. He meant "prophet" -- you know, one of those guys in a dirty robe who walks around holding a sign that says The End is Near. That kind of prophet.

Comment

All rah needs is a sign. Here's your sign.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I just end every list with prophit

or any spelling of it
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

So the space between the end of the list and your sig would be the "prophet margin," I take it?
                      1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                        So the space between the end of the list and your sig would be the "prophet margin," I take it?
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Thank you, but do bear in mind that sophisticated writers like Oscar Wilde roll over in their graves every time you laugh at a horrifically lame pun like that.
                          1011 1100

Comment

Hence the
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                            X