When should limbs be saved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When should limbs be saved?

The family of Bridger Hunt, the 11-year-old boy who was severely injured by a homemade firework last month, updated his condition Sunday evening.

Update on boy injured by explosive device
    August 3rd, 2008 @ 9:28pm
    (KSL News) The family of Bridger Hunt, the 11-year-old boy who was severely injured by a homemade firework last month, updated his condition this evening.

Because so many people have expressed interest in the boy, the family wants to keep everyone up-to-date.

Bridger had been in a drug-induced coma since reconstructive surgery on his leg. The family says when he woke up from that coma this weekend, he was very confused and disoriented to the point that doctors have had to give him paralytic drugs to immobilize him.

The family also said his blood pressure has come down to "nearly normal" but his heart rate remains "very high."

The family says the boy still hasn't been able to respond to questions from his family. Family members also expressed thanks to the public for their continued thoughts and prayers.
    This story has got me thinking.

This boy was hit by an explosive, and they put him in a coma, did a marathon surgery to reconstruct his leg, and he's still having to remain in a paralytic coma to prevent him from moving said leg and reinjuring it, as he did this weekend when they woke him up.

Now, this after the doctors have stated he will never walk again without some kind of aid. Crutches, cain, they're not sure.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here wondering. Why don't they just amputate?

The advances in prosthetics these days would give him just as much mobility as this frankenstein-leg thing. Why not just amputate and save this kid the pain and misery of being sedated in a coma for weeks, therapy for years, etc.

Sure, he'll gain some wicked scars, but an amputated leg is just as cool.

Seriously, I would personally rather they just amputate my leg and get me the prosthetic so I could at least be awake and starting on my recovery rather than spending at least the next 3 months in the hospital in the hopes that they might actually be able to save a leg that will not be any better use than a prosthetic anyway.
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

I'd rather keep the leg.

Comment

For me it would depend on how much pain I'd have to endure by keeping the leg. No shame in having a prosthetic.
      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Stupid people making homemade fireworks.

Kids are pretty resilient. The doctors could be wrong, he might heal up better than they think.
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
        Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
        One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I would suppose it depends on what the leg wants/has indicated to loved ones.
          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Well a nice leg of lamb, well I'll save that by putting it in the freezer
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Re: When should limbs be saved?

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
              The family of Bridger Hunt, the 11-year-old boy who was severely injured by a homemade firework last month, updated his condition Sunday evening.

Seriously, I would personally rather they just amputate my leg and get me the prosthetic so I could at least be awake and starting on my recovery rather than spending at least the next 3 months in the hospital in the hopes that they might actually be able to save a leg that will not be any better use than a prosthetic anyway.

You can make this decision when it's only hypothetical.
              If faced with an actual circumstance, your outlook might differ. Also hypothetical is the statement that he will need a cane or crutches. I know from personal experience that this isn't written in stone. They told me the same thing following a motorcycle accident; but I hit therapy hard for a year and I use no cane. The only thing noticeable is when I'm tired, and exhibit a slight limp. I've also played basketball, which they said I would definitely not do, and that was the extent they were willing to speculate. I proved the bastards wrong, every step of the way.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Re: Re: When should limbs be saved?

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                You can make this decision when it's only hypothetical.
                True. If the average joe sees his kid's leg blown off, he's going to want it reattatched no matter what. An othopedic surgeon knows the probability of success, the likelihood of meaningful usage, the long, slow recovery, etc. But if that orthopedic surgeon sees her kid's leg blown off -- she's almost certainly wanting it reattatched depite all that knowledge.
                The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Which is my point. Why?

I've never been in danger of amputating more than a finger, I'll give you that. But, I HAVE been in a drug induced paralysis in the hospital for 3 months before.

NEVER AGAIN. Period. Chop off the damn arm/leg, and let me be free, or be prepared for killing whoever put me on the damn machines again.

They told me the same thing following a motorcycle accident; but I hit therapy hard for a year and I use no cane. The only thing noticeable is when I'm tired, and exhibit a slight limp. I've also played basketball, which they said I would definitely not do, and that was the extent they were willing to speculate. I proved the bastards wrong, every step of the way.
                  And there are folks out there with prosthetics that can say the same thing. Why is the flesh and blood seen as more valuable?
                  One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                  You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

humans are irrational
                    The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Re: When should limbs be saved?

This story has got me thinking.

This boy was hit by an explosive, and they put him in a coma, did a marathon surgery to reconstruct his leg, and he's still having to remain in a paralytic coma to prevent him from moving said leg and reinjuring it, as he did this weekend when they woke him up.

Now, this after the doctors have stated he will never walk again without some kind of aid. Crutches, cain, they're not sure.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting here wondering. Why don't they just amputate?

The advances in prosthetics these days would give him just as much mobility as this frankenstein-leg thing. Why not just amputate and save this kid the pain and misery of being sedated in a coma for weeks, therapy for years, etc.

Sure, he'll gain some wicked scars, but an amputated leg is just as cool.

As much as I agree with you about how bad it can be to try and save a linmb, this still has to be said.

You're weird.
                      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

When should limbs be saved?

Don't you mean shaved?

Starting at 15, as necessary, females only.

Comment

Re: Re: When should limbs be saved?

Originally posted by Krill

You're weird.
                          Danke.
                          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Why is the flesh and blood seen as more valuable?
                            You have been well assimilated. As stated...your resistance was futile.
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

To alot of ppl, theres a huge difference between having a limb that doesn't work and missing a limb. And the way other ppl look at you.
                              :-p

Comment

Working...
                              X