Evolution and its application

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lorizael
    We teach evolution in order to help build a more accurate model of the world around us. Evolution is useful for understanding biology, and biology is useful in the healthcare industry, the agricultural indutry, and probably a lot of other industries as well.

If you don't teach important biology concepts to students in school, they're not likely to be interested enough in the subjects to pursue them in greater detail in college.
    Good answer. You're just full of those, aren't you?

Would you prefer your child to take a class that taught evolution, or some sort of bio lab? Let's say growing plants under different lights or something. Something that serves the purpose of establishing a biological concept, but is also practical, and teaches lab technique.

To put it another way, if you had to cut something out of the curriculum to teach evolution, what would it be, and why?
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Gym class. Fat little wieners would die out sooner rather than later.

Or would there be more of them because they aren't keeping fit. Hmmm. Nature vs Nuture again.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I personally don't think public school (any required curriculum in a publicly funded school) should deal with evolution. Make sure they got the 3 R's down... we have enough trouble getting that done... and that's about it for required curriculum.

As for getting kids interested in subjects... school seemed much more adept at undermining my interest in subjects than otherwise. Subjects I liked learning about on my own time I hated having to "learn about" in school. "Learn about" in quotes since mostly it came down to memorization of easily referenced facts... take the test... probably forget it... The whole thing is just a waste of time unless you plan on being a contestant on game shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
          As for getting kids interested in subjects... school seemed much more adept at undermining my interest in subjects than otherwise. Subjects I liked learning about on my own time I hated having to "learn about" in school. "Learn about" in quotes since mostly it came down to memorization of easily referenced facts... take the test... probably forget it... The whole thing is just a waste of time unless you plan on being a contestant on game shows.
          That's probably pretty typical for this crowd. Schools, public or private, are generally designed to get everybody up to some mediocre standard. That standard is way below nerds like us.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
            Gym class. Fat little wieners would die out sooner rather than later.

Or would there be more of them because they aren't keeping fit. Hmmm. Nature vs Nuture again.
            The important thing is: No. Fat. Chicks.

Comment

Anyways. . . I still hate old people. They drive slow, smell bad, vote too damn much, have no sense of humor, and expect checks from the government every month.
              Old people have the most life experience; their role in society has always been to provide advice for their younger relatives.

The thing is, now that the family unit has been abandoned, old people are isolated from their children and grandchildren and can't be good for the thing they're the best in.

Comment

Also we have written communication. Old people have been obsolete for millenia.

Comment

Btw Felch, who decides what is inferior?

If blue eyes, 6ft, blond hair, strong build, 20/20 vision, perfect hearing, etc is the superior human, then we would be eliminating the likes of Beethoven, Einstein, Stephen Hawking, all of who were none of those.

The thing about nature, as I have come to understand it, is that it relishes on variancy - the more the better, because without it, the likelyhood of say.. intelligence at human levels coming into existence is lessened. I don't believe that evolution tries to fine-tune everything, I believe it purposely mutates, purposely causes destruction, in order to find new paths (species), which in turn create new possibilities for survival.

We humans are afterall, just nature trying to survive, now it is using us to find a way off the planet. Life finds a way.
                  be free

Comment

Originally posted by Felch

Good answer. You're just full of those, aren't you?

Would you prefer your child to take a class that taught evolution, or some sort of bio lab? Let's say growing plants under different lights or something. Something that serves the purpose of establishing a biological concept, but is also practical, and teaches lab technique.

To put it another way, if you had to cut something out of the curriculum to teach evolution, what would it be, and why?
                    Learning a core concept of a science is more important then a lab technique. However doing both is best.
                    APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Originally posted by Felch
                      In that spirit, what is wrong with applying scientific knowledge to public policy? Why are we so cowardly when it comes to making a better world?
                      Because petty minds stand in the way of advancement!

I wish there was a place on Earth where a scientist would not have to bow down to so-called morality, where the artist would not fear the censor, where the weak would not chain the strong.

In any case Eugenics

But to be perfectly honest, exterminating people is not productive. Their potential is wasted.

Now sterilization on the other hand...
                      Last edited by Heraclitus; August 5, 2008, 01:57.
                      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai

Hi Adolf, long time no see.
                        Adolf Hitler was not good at Eugenics. If he was, he would have encouraged the Jews to mix with the German gene pool as much as possible.
                        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                          That's just it, they weren't "pro-evolution." Evolution is a natural process. The moment it's artificially directed it ceases to be evolution and becomes merely a group of people getting rid of people they don't like. Calling the Nazis (or Felch's proposal) "pro-evolution" is like calling demolition "pro-thermodynamics."
                          Actually it becomes "eugenics", since the word itself means well bred or something. It merely expands the principles we have used to change domesticated cattle and dogs to suit our proposes to the domesticated human. It means that the human race wakes up and takes control of its future.

Comment

Originally posted by FrostyBoy

If blue eyes, 6ft, blond hair, strong build, 20/20 vision, perfect hearing, etc is the superior human, then we would be eliminating the likes of Beethoven, Einstein, Stephen Hawking, all of who were none of those.
                            I think most agree that the defining feature of humanity is intelligence and creativity, physical fitness for survival should be a secondary concern in any project that would alter humanity.

Comment

Red states

Zomg Evoultion is teh eviLz!

Comment

Zomg NWO Is for Eugenikz!1! Evoulution is teh evil!1!

Comment

Working...
                                X