No announcement yet.

Does arterial plaque affect cognition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does arterial plaque affect cognition?

This morning I was just thinking, if the cause of heartattacks is clogged arteries preventing parts of the heart from getting the oxygen & nutrients they need, wouldn't it follow that clogged arteries in the cranium could significantly weaken brain function for the same reason? I figured the scienticians of Poly might have some idea. I only ask because I seem to have undergone a gradual dumbening over the past year and I'm making a list of ways to stem the tide.

(Wait... "dumbening"? That's not even a word!)
    Unbelievable!

I have no idea, but that's a nice Simpsons reference
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
      I have no idea, but that's a nice Simpsons reference
      Two, in fact. Only a truly pathetic Simpsons connoisseur could name the second one and the context where the show used it.
      Unbelievable!

Comment

Oh, scientician, used by Troy McClure in one of those filmstrips (possibly the meat-propaganda one from when Lisa turns vegetarian?). I actually haven't watched the Simpsons in years though, you referenced two of the older ones.
        1011 1100

Comment

Yep, the veggie episode. I haven't watched any Simpsons (new or rerun) in about three years, but gags like that still stick somehow.
          Unbelievable!

Comment

People always say that the best time to study is right after you exercise because the flow of blood to the brain is strong. However, I don't think mental cognitive power is associated with the magnitude of oxygen going to your brain, but you ability to learn is better when you have higher amounts of blood flow to your brain.

Lack of oxygen, obviously lessens your cognitive ability, as seen in stroke victims. This, though, is brain damage and not mere lessening of cognitive abilities brought on by total lack of oxygen, not just a lessening of the amount.

Personally, I think it would make for a good study. Compare those guys who do deep sea diving, the ones who hold their breath, with those athletes that go into oxygen chambers for training.

I guess if there were a correlation between oxygen getting to the brain and mental ability than people in Denver and the Dali Lama would be at a sever disadvantage.
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
              I guess if there were a correlation between oxygen getting to the brain and mental ability than people in Denver and the Dali Lama would be at a sever disadvantage.
              I thought about this too, but my understanding was that people at high altitudes just develop more efficient pulmonary systems; see e.g. Kenyans consistently being at the top of Olympic long-distance running events.

What I'm talking about is a lining of gunk within the lining of blood vessels that restricts the transfer of oxygen & nutrients alike to neurons, regardless of what concentration of oxygen & nutrients is in that blood to begin with. It just makes intuitive sense somehow, but again I ain't no scientician.
              Unbelievable!

Comment

Never heard of a stroke?
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Strokes are caused by an already extreme embolism, clot, aneurysm, or even outright hemorrhage. I'm just talking about your garden-variety high cholesterol.
                  Unbelievable!

Comment

Well that is the cause of myocardial infarction and heart attack too...
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

My mother is an RN. She said plaque doesn't directly impair function AFASK, but by restricting circulation it would indirectly cut off air and lower performance. And, of course, she also noted that it leads to strokes.
                      1011 1100

Comment

She's the Royal Navy?
                        Speaking of Erith:

Comment

It's the unregistered nurses that I worry about.
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I'd worry about some of the registered ones too. There's the sex offenders register, I mean, you wouldn't want a nurse registered there!
                            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

I know sleep apnea supposedly damages part of the brain.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X