Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GM Loses Another $16 Billion -- Bankrupt?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Arrian

I've been hoping for this for a week now.

-Arrian
    See my sig.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• It's share price is zero for a business the magnitude of GM's. Just not absolute zero.

It isn't a zombie, because this is going to be hashed out post-haste, one way or another.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• I know it's extremely low. The question is if the residual value is:

1) Based on the existence of an insanely hopeful minority (who think GM can pull it out)
        2) Based on the very real hope that Uncle Sam will give GM enough money to make it solvent
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
          It's share price is zero for a business the magnitude of GM's. Just not absolute zero.

It isn't a zombie, because this is going to be hashed out post-haste, one way or another.
          You DanSed me. Until the reality of the implicit gov't guarantee is resolved, then they are a zombie if their continued existence depends on its possibility.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• I don't think it's worthwhile to quibble over a few months, even though I recognize the timing of the guarantee is important in this narrow instance.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Okay.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• I cross-edited you.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                  I DanSed you.
                  I'm not surprised.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• I think the only things we can hope for is that Bush and Paulson hold the line on principled grounds or offer a deal on GM that is unacceptable to the Dems.

Comment

• Yeah, but I have the bad feeling GM will be able to hang on until Jan 20.

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Maybe not. Why would there be such a push now by Obama, if GM could hang on?

Comment

• To be seen to be proactive (realistic)
                          Because there's a chance GM won't hang on (idealistic)
                          Because they know GM won't hang on, but will be able to blame Bush this way (Machiavellian)
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                            I know it's extremely low. The question is if the residual value is:

1) Based on the existence of an insanely hopeful minority (who think GM can pull it out)
                            2) Based on the very real hope that Uncle Sam will give GM enough money to make it solvent
                            2) if Bush (or any other presidential combination except perhaps Barr) won the third term he would have bailed out GM + the rest...

I have no idea what makes any of you think this will not be the case? It's only that Dems are getting ready to take over the baton so they are "good guy" posturing and saving your fellow GM employees and unions...

bailout in principle can be good, but together with it you need to restructure the car industry... make it competitive via "bankrupcy" threat if no other way will do. If you just give away the money as in the past
                            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

• bailout in principle can be good

If you can show that the transition costs of bankruptcy will be higher than the cost of a bailout and company will return to profitability, then yes (apart from moral hazard)

My feeling is the GM will never return to profitability in anything approaching its current form. Better to just let it die.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• The problem with blaming Bush is that a Detroit bailout is likely to be very unpopular. I haven't seen recent polls, but vaguely recall a 70% against figure.

Comment

Working...
                                X