The Last Chapter of the Windstar Saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Chapter of the Windstar Saga

So, I haven't driven my old minivan in several months because (A) I was poor, (B) it was having a lot of problems, and (C) I had no where to go for awhile.

I'm finally back on my feet financially so I took it in to a trusted mechanic and had him take a look at it. The diagnosis: a crapload is wrong with the car, with total repairs coming to $1300 and absolutely critical repairs coming to $700.

I bought this car - a 1998 Ford Windstar - for $500 initially and then pumped another $3000 into for various repairs. But now I'm done spending money on it; it's time to go.

Without setting it on fire and driving it off a cliff, what's the best way to get rid of it?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

I'm not sure we're going to be able to help if you limit our options like that.
    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

A 1998 Windstar is only $500?

****, American cars devalue faster than I'd thought.

My dad just sold his 98 Camry for $10,000 (mind you it's low-mileage and in mint condition).

Without setting it on fire and driving it off a cliff, what's the best way to get rid of it?

Park it on a busy, windy street frequented by teenagers and/or driver training schools. It'll get hit before you know it.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
        A 1998 Windstar is only $500?
        It belonged to my then girlfriend's parents, so I think they may have given me a discount.

Actually, I remember looking up the KBB value for it awhile back and it was roughly equal to how much I've spent on it so far.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

You can donate it ... 1-800-kars-4-kids or something like that. They pick it up, and you can declare it on your taxes
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
            You can donate it ... 1-800-kars-4-kids or something like that. They pick it up, and you can declare it on your taxes
            A legal suggestion!

I'm aware of this as a concept, but don't know much about it. Anything I should be warned of? Any organizations I should avoid?

Comment

I'd avoid the ones that donate the money to terrorists

Comment

Thanks.

Also, athough I'm loath to do so, I have to admit that Asher was right about my car.

Originally posted by Asher
                Buying a used Ford is just asking to get ass-raped in repair costs.

Comment

Used Honda

Used Ford
                  except
                  Used Model T

Comment

Donate it for a tax right off
                    or sell it for scrap metal

or strip it down, reinforce it, and enter it in a demolition derby
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Phew, I was afraid Lori had taken up writing crappy high-fantasy stories and wanted feedback. Glad it's just about a junky car.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

A legal suggestion!

I'm aware of this as a concept, but don't know much about it. Anything I should be warned of? Any organizations I should avoid?
                        Number One caveat: Do you itemize your tax deductions? If you don't have a deductable item won't do you any good.

Comment

Well, even if he doesn't itemize, he still gets it towed away for free, which was sort of the point

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                            Phew, I was afraid Lori had taken up writing crappy high-fantasy stories and wanted feedback. Glad it's just about a junky car.
                            Nope. The crappy fantasy I write isn't the high type.

Comment

I don't want to read "fantasies" involving you getting spanked by a chick named Windstar either.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                              X