How bad are transfats really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loop holes.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Loophole what? It was intentionally put there, it's not a loophole The issue probably is that it's just not realistic for one state to make a law regarding things distributed nationally, like that.. it would have to be done at the federal level. Myself, I think it's a bad idea anyway; I'd rather see education and labelling. (Then again, the FDA is a bunch of idiots who likely make more money from business than from the government... sigh ...)

Labelling laws need to be fixed to require 0.1 specificity, and serving sizes corrected to more standard levels. But... what do I know.

Also, they need to have some sort of 'max' for TFAs that is listed on the package, so uneducated consumers can still do the math (hopefully) and see that 1g of TFA is 1/3 of their daily allowable, or whatever.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
        Also, from what I read above about the California ban, it is worth noting that the CA ban does not apply to packaged goods that are packaged at the factory (ie, mass market goods), but only to restaurants and local bakeries. Way to go, Arnie, screw over small businesses while not doing a thing about some of the worst offenders ... (Note that most of the major fast-food chains, the original offenders, have headed in the direction of no-TFAs already.)
        Oh, well then, boo.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Loophole what? It was intentionally put there, it's not a loophole The issue probably is that it's just not realistic for one state to make a law regarding things distributed nationally, like that.. it would have to be done at the federal level. Myself, I think it's a bad idea anyway; I'd rather see education and labelling. (Then again, the FDA is a bunch of idiots who likely make more money from business than from the government... sigh ...)
          Why not? They do it with other products, like automobiles.

And doesn't New York help itself to prosecution over corporate governance?
          Last edited by notyoueither; July 27, 2008, 02:44.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Loophole what? It was intentionally put there, it's not a loophole
            Intentional loopholes are still loopholes.

Comment

Originally posted by rmsharpe

Because those donuts and pork rinds were so innocent and healthy!
              They can be made without transfats, so what is your point?
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

They can be made without transfats, so what is your point?
                If you're going to ban unhealthy food, ban unhealthy food!

Actually, that's what they're probably going to be doing next. I don't want Ms. Nanny Schwarzenegger telling me what I can and can't eat when I visit California. We're losing our freedom one bite at a time.
                -rmsharpe

Comment

Either this law gets broken, people start eating out of state, or the worlds population is about to drop significantly.
                  You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

ok that was OTT...
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

If you're going to ban unhealthy food, ban unhealthy food!
                      Do you even read the thread? The ban is against a specific chemical substance, one that was invented a century ago, and is used mainly because it extends the shelve life of products, or was originally thought to be a "healthy" alternative to natural fats, but the science now shows that it isn't.

Get over your paranoid liberterian ****.
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

No one gets out alive anyway.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

We're losing our freedom one bite at a time.
                          The freedom to be poisoned by artificial substances?

You can still make everything you could before with real fats and oils but the artificial stuff got the boot and I really don't see how our freedom has been effected. ZOMG! They won't left food companies put chemicals in my food! Freedom has died!
                          Last edited by Dinner; July 28, 2008, 00:53.

Comment

Oerdin, one of the ways to make stearate, a carboxylic acid used by the body, is by reduction of a trans acid that is produced in large amounts in nature, oleic acid. Would this ban on trans fats make it illegal to make saturated fats from trans fats? If so, you food prices are going to increase some more, which is not going to be popular with the plebs...

Comment

Working...
                            X