Let's say I was living in London for 2-3 months, starting in a couple weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's say I was living in London for 2-3 months, starting in a couple weeks

So apparently C++ gurus are in short supply these days. I've been working for the same US investment bank (under contract) for a couple years, but I'm moving on to new things.

I've been called by my company's London office since they found out I'm free after next Wednesday and I've got both extensive C++ experience and grid computing experience and financial markets experience. They've got a high profile grid computing application for a major UK investment bank that they need help on, for 2-3 months.

I'm being asked to go to London (the UK one, not the Ontario one) for 2-3 months, as soon as possible.

My main concern at this point is cost of living. They say they'll increase the pay for the duration to compensate, but I need to know I'm not going to get screwed.

They'll provide a furnished corporate apartment for me (not sure where yet) that I do not need to pay for (so I keep paying rent on my Toronto apartment for the duration), as well as an undisclosed food stipend. Additionally, they will fly me back to Toronto once a month or my SO out to London once a month for the duration.

For those familiar with the cost differences (Starchild?), how much of a % of pay increase should I expect if I have to live in London vs Toronto?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Sounds like a threat *runs*
    Blah

Comment

I've got several UK PolyPosters that I would like to "meet".
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

The only thing gayer than people who live in Canada who have anal sex with men is people who live in England and have anal sex with men.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

There are no cute UK posters, Ozzy. Not that kind of "meeting".

Comment

That's sounds like a great opportunity
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              There are no cute UK posters, Ozzy. Not that kind of "meeting".
              I was just trying to make a crack at Canada and the UK. Unrelated to your comment.

Obviously it didn't work.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I spun it into an insult against many people. It's a talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Nostromo
                  That's sounds like a great opportunity
                  I still have to clear it with the SO.

Comment

You should sublet your Toronto flat for the duration of your contract.
                    Graffiti in a public toilet
                    Do not require skill or wit
                    Among the **** we all are poets
                    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I'm not going to let someone I don't know live in my fully furnished apartment with all of my expensive tech stuff for 2 to 3 months while I'm in another country...

Comment

Don't forget to visit the Sears Tower
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I hear the Changing of the Guard at Wrigley is a sight to see.

Comment

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

My main concern at this point is cost of living. They say they'll increase the pay for the duration to compensate, but I need to know I'm not going to get screwed.

They'll provide a furnished corporate apartment for me (not sure where yet) that I do not need to pay for (so I keep paying rent on my Toronto apartment for the duration), as well as an undisclosed food stipend. Additionally, they will fly me back to Toronto once a month or my SO out to London once a month for the duration.

Firstly, what do you expect to be spending most of your money on that isn't going to be completely covered by the company? (e.g is gas/electric/water covered in the rent)

Secondly, where will you be based compared to where you will live and go out? Travel can be expensive.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X