How Fragile is China?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Fragile is China?

That so many entertainers are a threat to it. I guess if the Screen Actors Guild ever wanted to show off its power during contract negotiation, they could just hop across the Pacific and topple China. That will get more attention than a strike. Heck, Sean Penn should be able to do it singlehandedly.

July 18, 2008
    China to Bar Entertainers It Deems Threat
    By EDWARD WONG
    BEIJING — Foreign entertainers who have taken part in activities that China deems a threat to its sovereignty will not be allowed to perform in the country, according to a new list of rules posted Thursday on the Web site of the Ministry of Culture.

The rules say that the background credentials of performers from foreign countries, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan will be scrutinized carefully. “Those who used to take part in activities that harm our nation’s sovereignty are firmly not allowed to perform in China,” the rules say.

They also call for banning performers who promote ethnic hatred or “advocate obscenity or feudalism and superstition.”

The new rules are the latest attempt by China to clamp down on any political dissent leading up to the Summer Olympics, which begin on Aug. 8. Government officials have set up security checkpoints throughout Beijing, deported foreigners or refused to renew visas, and shut down protests by grieving parents whose children died during school collapses in the May 12 earthquake.

China had promised a more open atmosphere this summer and had told the International Olympic Committee that it would adhere to strict standards for human rights. Many people outside China are now casting serious doubts on China’s commitment to those pledges.

The new rules on performances may have come about after an outburst earlier this year from Bjork, the popular Icelandic singer. She used a concert in Shanghai as a platform to advocate for Tibetan independence. She shouted “Tibet! Tibet!” after performing “Declare Independence,” a song from her 2007 album, “Volta.” The outcry drew sharp criticism from Chinese Internet users and praise from international supporters of an independent Tibet.

The Chinese government often says the invasion of Tibet by the People’s Liberation Army in 1950 led to the overthrow of a feudal system that was kept in place by the Dalai Lama and his predecessors.

Interestingly, the new rules on entertainment also apply to performers from Hong Kong and Macau, both former European colonies now administered by China. In Taiwan, a self-governing democratic island off the coast of Fujian Province, some entertainers are advocates of formal independence for Taiwan and are considered dangerous elements by Chinese officials.

Huang Yuanxi contributed research.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

It tends to be be pretty fragile. That's why you only bring it out for special family functions.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

How Fragile is China?

I see what you did here.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

QFT
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

China had promised a more open atmosphere this summer and had told the International Olympic Committee that it would adhere to strict standards for human rights. Many people outside China are now casting serious doubts on China’s commitment to those pledges.
          If anyone believed that China would adhere to strict standards for human rights, I have the spectacular bridge in Brooklyn I'd love to sell them.

Comment

China will break if you drop it. Apparently, this makes the government very paranoid. Of course tensile strength depends on the way it was formed prior to being placed in the kiln.
            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
            X