X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never Trust The Elderly: Cold-blooded Killers Edition

Elderly women get life in L.A. insurance killings

By LINDA DEUTSCH, AP Special Correspondent 2 hours, 10 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - Two elderly women were sentenced to life in prison without parole Tuesday for murdering two indigent men to collect insurance policies taken out on their lives.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge David Wesley on Tuesday sentenced 77-year-old Helen Golay and 75-year-old Olga Rutterschmidt to two consecutive life terms each.

In April the women were convicted of a scheme in which they befriended homeless men, took out insurance policies on them and then killed them in murders staged to look like hit-and-run auto accidents. Prosecutors say the women collected $2.8 million before the scheme was uncovered.

The judge denounced the women, saying the men they killed needed only food, water and shelter and thought the women were going to help them.

"Instead, these unfortunate men were sacrificed on your altar of greed," Wesley said.

Both women were convicted of first-degree murder and conspiracy to murder for financial gain in the 1999 death of Paul Vados, 73, and the 2005 death of Kenneth McDavid, 50.

Both men were run over by cars in dark alleys. Police linked the cases when a detective investigating one overheard a colleague describe a similar case.

Defense attorneys had conceded the women were involved in insurance fraud but denied they had formed a murder conspiracy. Golay's attorney, Roger Jon Diamond, said during the trial that the women's idea was to insure old, sick homeless people who would die more quickly.

The jury that convicted the women in April saw a secretly recorded videotape of the defendants in a lockup after their arrests. Rutterschmidt berated Golay, saying her actions in taking out 23 insurance policies raised a red flag when the men died.

"It's your fault," Rutterschmidt told Golay. "You can't have that many insurances. ... You were greedy. That's the problem."
    And isn't that last bit just precious? Disgusting old bags, rot slowly.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

At that age, it's all law of the wild.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

That's awesome. You go, girls.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Homeless people usually have mental deficiencies. Would you suggest waiting until they commit a crime before we get to put them to death? These old women have finally cut out the middle man and get my Wiglaf Women of the Week award, narrowly edging out the rebellious poontang that A-Rod hits.

Comment

And don't no one go and turn this into a moral crusade and chest thump around. We've all hit a few bumps here or there and just kept going.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
            And don't no one go and turn this into a moral crusade and chest thump around. We've all hit a few bumps here or there and just kept going.
            Most of don't insure the bumps first and then aim at them. The old broads got caught by trying to pull the same scam in the same city. Should have used the first policy to move, THEN do it again. No limit to greed.
            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Yeah, well, most of us don't rise to Wiggy-trolls either. It seems there's an exception to everything, no?
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Grey Dawn
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

That's the title of one of my novels. What?
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                  X