Carrowmore 52A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrowmore 52A

Meet Carrowmore 52A. At first glance, an unremarkable passage tomb in Ireland.

It might not look like much, but it could be the oldest surviving building in the world. According to Prof. Goran Burenholt of the University of Stockholm, it's 7,400 years old.

That's really rather old. It helps develop a theory that there was some very interesting civilisation-type things in western Europe a lot earlier than previously considered.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

That's a building?
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

You're being rather vague there. Which theory exactly would that be. Also, define "building".

Need more info
      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Is Burenholt a recognized authority in building ages? To many who are expert, civilization appears to have been around building since at least 10,000 BC. Doubt your rather dubious tomb is the oldest surviving building in the world.
        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs
          You're being rather vague there. Which theory exactly would that be.
          The theory that the megalithic culture started earlier than originally anticipated, and spread from west to east.

Also, define "building".

It's a passage tomb. Huge rocks shaped and moved into position to form the walls and roof of a long chamber, then finished in turf. A building.
          Last edited by Bugs ****ing Bunny; July 16, 2008, 17:41.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
            Is Burenholt a recognized authority in building ages?
            Yes. He's been researching megaliths for over 30 years. The methods used typically involve carbon-dating samples from within the body of the tomb, and within the joints.

To many who are expert, civilization appears to have been around building since at least 10,000 BC. Doubt your rather dubious tomb is the oldest surviving building in the world.

Well, firstly- what's dubious about it? It's a typical passage tomb with dolmen entrance- there are over 100 of them at Carrowmore. Granted, it's not the tidiest example, but none of us is getting prettier with age.

And if you've got an older surviving building (rather than just archaeological remnants of fire-pits or post-holes, dig it out. It would be an interesting topic.

Comment

Here's another contender- the tombs of Bougon. Note that they have the meticulously-tidy appearance of monuments that have been extensively "restored".

Comment

And another contender- the Ggantija tombs of Malta.

Nowhere near as old as Carrowmore 52A, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

The theory that the megalithic culture started earlier than originally anticipated, and spread from west to east.

It's a passage tomb. Huge rocks shaped and moved into position to form the walls and roof of a long chamber, then finished in turf. A building.

I figured megalithic culture started in the west anyway. What do you mean in geographical terms with east. As in: how far do you mean it extended.

I never really got much into these cultures back when I studied archaeology, and and top of that I've forgotten most of it, so I'm always interested to hear more information about this.
                  "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                  "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

What about the Sphinx? Possibly the pyramids themselves? Just working with the literature here. I'm an historian, not an archeologist, but I am unaware of any theory of human development that a priori precludes cities prior to the last Ice Age.
                    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs
                      I figured megalithic culture started in the west anyway. What do you mean in geographical terms with east. As in: how far do you mean it extended.
                      Bear in mind the fact that I'm British. Continental Europe is "East" as far as I'm concerned.

The traditional schools of though are that it originated either in northern France or (based on the Maltese examples) somewhere in the Mediterranean region. However there's always a bit of a Middle East/Asia Minor bias on this topic- you always get the impression that academics are desperate to link it to those areas one way or another.

Carrowmore, however, is about as far west as it's possible to get in Europe.

Comment

What about the Sphinx? Possibly the pyramids themselves? Just working with the literature here. I'm an historian, not an archeologist, but I am unaware of any theory of human development that a priori precludes cities prior to the last Ice Age.

Is this going to turn into one of those "Fingerprints of the Gods" crypto-history things? I've not got much time for that drivel.

We can no more preclude the existance of lost cities and megaliths prior to the last ice age any more than we can preclude the existance of lost 800-foot tall statues of the luminous Ninja Elvis-god prior to the last ice age. That's why crypto-history is bollocks.

Comment

Berzerker, is that you? I missed you
                          Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                          And notifying the next of kin
                          Once again...

Comment

Working...
                          X