Teh Workers Pwning Teh Production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teh Workers Pwning Teh Production

In all seriousness (disregard that I am posting drunk), what is the benefit of workers owning the means of production?

Furthermore, if we give all workers the right to unionize why can't we give other workers, at the same facility/company/whatever, the right to not unionize? i.e. have union workers and nonunion workers working the same job side by side. (that way when the union workers strike us realists can reap the benefits of massive overtime and no two weeks of lost wages! )

Re: Teh Workers Pwning Teh Production

Originally posted by Space05us
    In all seriousness (disregard that I am posting drunk), what is the benefit of workers owning the means of production?
    Good question, but it was never done in praxis, so nobody really knows.....
    Blah

Comment

The benefit is you get United Airlines.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Oh and what does this mean:

i.e. have union workers and nonunion workers working the same job side by side.
        That's pretty much how it is. At least here in Hermania. Not in the US? I mean, do you have to join a union for a certain job
        Blah

Comment

Some jobs are "closed shops." Teacher's unions are one sort of this, where everybody pays dues whether they join or not. Most people join because certain benefits are only for members, and the difference between member and non-member dues are very small.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

It's a state by state thing; some states permit closed shops (ie, essentially requiring union membership), some do not. It is (in theory) to prevent 'free riders' from benefiting from the union without paying dues.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Furthermore, if we give all workers the right to unionize why can't we give other workers, at the same facility/company/whatever, the right to not unionize? i.e. have union workers and nonunion workers working the same job side by side. (that way when the union workers strike us realists can reap the benefits of massive overtime and no two weeks of lost wages! )
              It's called democracy, where the majority rules.

Non-untion workers working beside union workers are called "freewheelers." When a new contract comes out, they reap all the benefits without contributing anything. They're the termites that weaken the power of the working folks to earn a better life.

Comment

Well for starters, it takes money out of the top tier- which mainly puts it into estate building- and spreads it out across a broader base. This creates a better SoL for more people, allowing for more leisure time, which in turn allows for more creativity. It also enhances an economy that's consumer based, which would further enrich every social strata. One can argue that stock options and 401(k) do this to a lesser extent, but it's not available to all workers.

Environmentally it'd be a disaster, as the consumer spending rose dramatically it'd impact already strained resources. Like we're seeing today with middle-class growth in 3rd world nations.
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Re: Re: Teh Workers Pwning Teh Production

Originally posted by Theben

Environmentally it'd be a disaster, as the consumer spending rose dramatically it'd impact already strained resources. Like we're seeing today with middle-class growth in 3rd world nations.
                  OMG! Average people, buying stuff!

Comment

pretty much.
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Give the workers options on their companies stock.
                      Beats the hell out of a union. Now there's true motivation for the company to do well.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

IMHO: Any stock or stock option given as compensation or bonus to officers or employees should then not be transferrable for at least 10 years. That's the way to ensure long-term growth of the company (as opposed to short-term plundering).

Comment

dumb question but what does pwing mean?
                          Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                          Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                          Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                          You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

"Pwning" = "owning" usually having the connotation of "triumphing over" or "controlling."

Comment

Working...
                            X