MNS thugs vandalise my college

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
    If you're going to tell me that I need to play a PC strategy game in order to understand this obscure point on Indian politics, my mocking laughter will still be ringing in your ears several days from now.
    Well I have to admit that playing Europa Universalis and Victoria has taught me more factual information about the history of many obscure regions of the world, than school ever did.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

The Movimento Nacional-Sindicalista is vandalizing in India now? I thought they were defunct...
      Unbelievable!

Comment

A few decades back, a lot of South Indians were migrating to Mumbai and other places in Maharashtra, because that's where the jobs were.

The Shiv Sena as a party came into its own at that time, by demanding that "Maharashtra and Mumbai should be for Marathi people". They engaged in rioting, tried to intimidate whom they called "outsiders", and in general were (and still are) a major nuisance. They received a lot of support from the locals, because of the "They took er jobs!" factor, and the fact that lot of the locals resented the Southies.

Fast forward to now. The MNS breaks off from the Shiv Sena, but has essentially the same ideology. They demand that 90% of seats in colleges should be reserved for people from Maharashtra. They were protesting against the "system", claiming that it favoured "North Indians" (who have become the new invaders, now that the South Indian menace is gone).

The system is pretty well-known here. 60% (or 70%, I forget which) is for people from Maharashtra, 15% for candidates from all over India (that's where I fit in), and around 20% or so "discretionary" admissions, in which they basically milk parents desperate for a seat in a good institute for exorbitant amounts of "donation" money. Often, the donations can to up to three or four times the total cost of the education - and then they have to pay fees, too. The government fixes the fees for all the students getting in on merit.

The system works, as people like me end up getting a subsidised education at the cost of the unworthy. And because of the fact that the government fixes the fees, they have to recover the money from somewhere.

Now these MNS thugs weren't happy with the 60% already for locals, so they go on a rampage, beat up office staff, wreck the office, and trash a few labs.

I am as Marathi as they come, and I find this totally ridiculous. First of all, there shouldn't be any reservation for locals - or, for that matter, anyone - at all, it should all be pure merit. Secondly, isn't 60% enough? Thirdly, WHAT THE HELL?
        Last edited by aneeshm; July 12, 2008, 23:47.

Comment

Notherners causing problems. Sounds familiar.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

All I know is the people in India who live in the south don't know how to use bathrooms.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Yep, they just crap in the streets and eat nan all day.
              Unbelievable!

Comment

It's great that Indians are racist against their own race. That just solves so many problems.
                Long time member @ Apolyton
                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm

Now these MNS thugs weren't happy with the 60% already for locals, so they go on a rampage, beat up office staff, wreck the office, and trash a few labs.

So I asssume the labs they trashed would be mainly used by their own people anyway?
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871
                    Yep, they just crap in the streets and eat nan all day.
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      Notherners causing problems. Sounds familiar.
                      No doubt the Southerners are pissed that the northerners won't obey the Fugitive Slave Laws.
                      Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                        It's great that Indians are racist against their own race. That just solves so many problems.
                        Yeah, I feel better now. At least our dumb American xenophobes only hate on actual foreigners stealing their jobs.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Yeah. See? There's a lot of difference.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
                            Well I have to admit that playing Europa Universalis and Victoria has taught me more factual information about the history of many obscure regions of the world, than school ever did.
                            Yes, yes, I 'd say that qualifies you for perpetual belittlement.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                            X