Cat Gets Mailed across Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat Gets Mailed across Germany

Tomcat Janosch was just looking for a nice place to sleep when he got into a neighbor's box. Instead, he and the package were shipped halfway across Germany.

When Gitti Rauch hadn't seen her cat Janosch for a day she wasn't particularly worried: The one-year-old tomcat has a habit of disappearing for a day or two. But instead of hiding out somewhere in the neigborhood, the cat was, in fact, half-way across Germany after being accidently sent in the post.

The first thing Rauch, a 44-year-old waitress, who lives in a Bavarian village near the Austrian border, knew about her pet's epic journey was when she received a phone call from a neighbor, the Miesbacher Merkur newspaper reported. "I've sent your cat in the post," Manuela Lueginger sheepishly admitted.

The day before in her cellar, Lueginger had carefully wrapped tape around a package, which contained a child seat that she had auctioned off on eBay. Lueginger then took the package to a post office and mailed it to the family that had bought the childseat.

Twenty-four hours and 717 kilometers (445 miles) later the package arrived in Dorsten, a town in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia, where to the surprise of postal workers the box started to move. Once opened, they discovered the cat, which had survived the journey without a scratch.

The cat's owner, said she wasn't too surprised that Janosch hadn't objected to being boxed up and carried off. "This cat has always been a bit special," she said. "He likes to ride in cars, he likes boxes and he never complains."

After discovering the cat, the postal workers first tracked down Leuginger as the sender of the package, and then handed Janosch over to a nearby animal shelter, where he had to wait three long weeks before he was reunited with his owner.

Although the cat might have thought he was getting a free trip, his journey across Germany turned out quite expensive for his owner. In the end, Rauch had to fork out €280 ($440) in train tickets and fees for the animal shelter. "It was worth it," she said. "We're just happy he's now back with us."
    Tomcat Janosch was just looking for a nice place to sleep when he got into a neighbor's box. Instead, he and the package were shipped halfway across Germany.

Blah

Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
    I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

I wouldn't of paid to get it back.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

$440!

Keep the cat
        The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power. Not wealth or luxury or long life or happiness: only power, pure power.

Join Eventis, the land of spam and unspeakable horrors!

Comment

I'd have paid it. 3 weeks locked up? Why? So the money could be raised?
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It wasn't named Nermal, was it?
            "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
              I wouldn't of paid to get it back.
              I wouldn't have used "wouldn't of."

I'd have made that ****ing neighbor pay for it.

And I'd also make him get the cat back.
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
              Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
              One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                I'd have paid it. 3 weeks locked up? Why? So the money could be raised?
                Probably until the owner could make the trip.
                "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                -Joan Robinson

Comment

why not just mail the damn thing back?
                  I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                  [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Avalon

I wouldn't have used "wouldn't of."
                    He does it on purpose to upset my delicate grammatical sensibilities
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

It would've been funny if this had been sent by DHL because they'd lose the package for a week and have a really bad PR story on their hands.

Comment

Working...
                      X