TV series versus movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV series versus movies

Man, I'm getting my ass on the television side of things. Movies are good and all that, but they come few and in between these days. There's some really really good stuff, and they're worth the story and seeing it, sometimes even worth to buy the book if it was based on one.

But I'm telling you television is kicking ass. There's so many quality series going on and popping up all the time, seems to me there's an army of good writers doing them too. Unlike so many of the movies these days. I don't know, if I was a writer, I'd prefer a good quality series over a movie, depending on how much money there is to lose or win, but if that's not a big factor, I'd rather do series.

There's so much good writing these days. I just finished 2 seasons of 30 rock, quality writing. I'm just half way through Studio 60, again, quality writing. These are sort of comedies, so it's not just drama. And still, quality writing, top notch. You can spot it easy because it stands out from the rest of the crap. Good character building, it just works man.

Then there's bunch of HBO stuff, some of the old and ongoing and in the future, quality writing again. Even Californication was good writing. They're basically making people who seem douches and idiots look good, like Alec Baldwin in 30 Rock is pure gold. Movies never did that to him. Or how about Mathew Perry or what's his name, Friends killed him as an actor, talk about annyoing typecasting. Super annoying. But he seems much better in Studio 60, it's more a drama role for him, but it really works for him and he doesn't look like a douche anymore. And the x-files guy on Californication almost seems like a real character after that strong typecast.

That's what good writing does with characters, they can even make these stereotyped douches look good. And it's not because they're such "brilliant actors". The difference is in writing, period. They've gotten all the good things from movies, which is quality of it, and just taken it to a format of series. To me they now have the best of the both worlds, thus being better in both quantity and quality at the moment.

Let's face it, there's tons of people waiting for new seasons of many series, of course that's always been the case but it's sort of different these days. It's not just cheap laughs or soap operas, it's quality television. And there's very few movies people are actually waiting to come out. The hype is better with series than movies these days. I think there's a killing to be made in series business than movie business in the future. Movies won't be selling tons of products like the series could. And you've got the DVDs, years ago, people didn't think about buying tv series. These days it's the norm, and it rules.

There's only few top notch quality actors I'm looking forward seeing, that on the basis of that alone I'd see that movie. Just only a few. Christian Bale is one, I'd see most of his movies any time. I'm waiting for Killing Pablo, that'll be awesome. So Bale is one but I can't think of anyone else I'd really look forward seeing. Or directors, I mean I'd go for a new Kevin Smith movie, but that's about it. Or Herzog, or Wes Anderson movie, but that's pretty much about it where I go with face value, other than that, I have to know more and it'll be a negative estimation, as in things that suck in it.

And if you look for a message, which isn't a priority, but if you do, series give you much more, they take much more risks with touching sensitive subjects. Movies don't, they just don't. So on that basis as well, I'd say series have much more actual content.

What do you think?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

I concur. I prefer TV series to movies generally speaking. For instance, I can think of a number of series that I have watched in whole or in part more than once, but no where near so for movies. DVD availability has only made this even more so.

Some movie sequels allow greater character development than a single outing, but regardless I find good TV series offer greater entertainment value for the time put into them than good movies.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Exactly. I'm watching series more than once as well and so are many others, the ones with good plots and good stuff happening.

And there's few movies that can go further, like Godfather movies, they go a long way with characters and building it up, but in a numbers game, movies are taking a hit right now. And it's OK. I think this means that more actors are willing to go with a series if it's good than with a single movie. Because they're also starting to pay really good money per episode these days, and it's not like you are then a tv actor. It's not like it's a bad thing. It's a good thing, if the series is good, it's a step forward, unlike a sucky movie, that's a step backwards.

And all these tivos' and other equipment, I bet they've got way more series recorded than movies these days. And a huge plus with the real quality series is that these days some of them realize to pull the plug when it still works and not kill it and drag it on for years when it just becomes sad. They pull the plug early, so you actually think damn it, I was hoping for a new season, it didn't seem to drop with quality, why did they do that. But it's a good thing, and networks can do that because they have other series coming up all the time, so they can benefit from having the image of producing quality stuff and kill them when the time has come, even if the ratings aren't dropping dramatically, they still manage to take it off and just replace it, give us a new story to see.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

And it used to be, that movie actors, it was like a drop in the ranks if they "had to do a series" in between. These days, I bet it's impossible to get these actors in the series with commitment to make a movie in between, even if they had the time.

Also, it used to be like a big deal if some big start would guest star an episode, these days, I bet they're asking their managers to try to get them to have a small cameo in an episode because they like that series so much. Not only that, but since there is so many good series going on, there's even less room for crappy series, the money is getting better, there's not much bias because it's a good thing and not a cheap one, all in all it looks good for the future. There's just too much money to be made producing more quality series and people want to see them, myself included
        In da butt.

Comment

It's the same as reading a book, then watching a movie. Generally, the movies is nowhere close. Sometimes, but mostly not.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

True, but sometimes you see the movie first, then realize it was based on a book, and then you read the book and like it even more, much much more... so movies can make you read books too.
            In da butt.

Comment

I generally only watch News, Sports, History/Discovery channel or Reruns on TV.

So please list 2 or 3 current series I should be watching.

It might give me something to do other than post in here

Comment

Working...
              X