This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obligatory iPhone Thread

The iPhone G3 went on sale today, and Apple has managed to repeat -- indeed, intensify -- last year's start-up snafu. All the old iPhones became eligible for software update at the same time the sales of the G3 started, plus the opening of the store for iPhone Apps and the push to switch users from .Mac to the new MobileMe service.

Result: Apple's servers crashed and burned.

iPhone Users Plagued by Software Problems

By JOHN MARKOFF
    Published: July 12, 2008

SAN FRANCISCO — On Friday, the iPhone was the iCan’t for many users.

Apple suffered massive network gridlock Friday morning as many of the six million users of the original iPhone tried to upgrade to new software at the same time as the first buyers of the new iPhone 3G were trying to activate their purchases.

The problem was magnified by the Cupertino, Calif.-based company’s campaign to persuade Macintosh users to switch from its .Mac Web service to a new MobileMe service that is intended to seamlessly share information between Macintosh computers and the iPhone.

The meltdown is a classic example of problems that can result from complex systems that have single points of failure. In this case, the company appeared to invite disaster by not separating its existing customers from new ones.

“There are certainly lessons in preparedness,” said Richard Doherty, a consumer electronics industry consultant who is president of Envisioneering Group in Seaford, N.Y. “The acid test for many years has been Christmas morning where customers contact companies in droves after opening presents,” Mr. Doherty said, adding that he had still not been successful in activating his own phone after upgrading.

In addition to long waiting times for iPhone 3G purchasers at Apple and AT&T stores, current iPhone users found that their phones were made inoperable when they tried to upgrade their phones to the latest iPhone software. The iPhone now requires an authentication step in which the phone must connect to Apple servers through its iTunes software application before it will function again after a software upgrade.

On Friday morning, Apple executives acknowledged the problem and said the combination of original iPhone users upgrading and new iPhone 3G users trying to complete their activation swamped the company’s servers.

At Apple and AT&T stores on Friday morning, employees began instructing purchasers to take their new iPhones home and activate them there. A year ago, when the original iPhone went on sale, customers performed that activation process at home. However, Apple and its cellphone partners changed the process this time, in part because the cost of the phones is now partially subsidized and having the phones on a contract is now crucial for the carriers.

Early indications are that the company was coping with significant demand for the new phones even as lines stretched around the block at many of Apple’s stores, which opened at 8 a.m.However, in many cases, the customers were not new ones, but existing iPhone users looking to upgrade to the new iPhone 3G model, which is being sold for as little as $199 with a two-year contract.
    So my question is this: Could this be a deliberate marketing ploy designed to create attention and excitement, or is this a simple case of incompetence?

I tend to think it's the former, as the free PR from news coverage of the new version has been substantially less than the massive wave of publicity Apple got last year. So what do you do when your new product isn't newsworthy? Simple: you create a news story around it.

NYTimes linky
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

My thread predates this, is in the correct forum, and has a better title: http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...hreadid=178893
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

1. It's as much a marketing story as it is a technology issue per se, which is why I chose the OTF.

2. I just want to be clear: I did check both forums for a thread.

3. Your post "predates" mine by one minute. I consider it to be more of a cross-post.

4. I was really just posting it for you.

5. Welcome back, "Asher."
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

How do we know that's Asher?
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Use the other thread... consider this a linkto
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
          X