US Consumerism and the Recession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlackCat
    Yearly : heating 3600 DKK, electricity 2200 DKK, internet 3600 DKK = 9400 DKK - 1$ ~4,80 DKK -> $1958 / 12 = $163 monthly. Seems to suck to live in america
    Your utilities are probably subsidized through your taxes.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Well I managed because there just wasn't any more! If I had made $1,000 I'd have lived like a king!

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Your utilities are probably subsidized through your taxes.
        They are all private and work on market terms - only exception is heating that isn't allowed to give a profit.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Because our internets are privatized.
          So are ours. Same with our utilities.
          Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

What's considered "cable" in the UK?
            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

That's what we were paying in Chicago in 2001. I guess it depends on whether you have steam heat or not, but several of our apartments did not, and that last winter we'd get $600 a month gas bills, though only $50 in the summer. I averaged for gas, plus $100 on electricity.

Heck, cable+internet and electricity is $280 a month here in Florida.
              $600 a month gas bills are super extreme for a one-bedroom apartment, even in Chicago.

I doubt even Ming pays that for his house in the dead of the Chicago winter.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                Well I managed because there just wasn't any more! If I had made $1,000 I'd have lived like a king!

Long time member @ Apolyton
                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

That's what we were paying in Chicago in 2001. I guess it depends on whether you have steam heat or not, but several of our apartments did not, and that last winter we'd get $600 a month gas bills, though only $50 in the summer. I averaged for gas, plus $100 on electricity.

Even in a month of -40 weather heating for my 2 bedroom apartment maxed out at about $80 a month. Electric was like $70 and that was high because I had electric hot water. Cable+internet was $100.
                  Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

I just did some back 'o the napkin math and came up with $850/month in total utility costs (cable + internet + phone + electric + oil) for the dead of winter. That's using 2008 oil prices. For a 4-bed, 2500 sqft house.

$600/month gas bills for heat in 7 years ago for a small apartment? That's INSANE.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I pay $600/mo. for a 2 room apartment all utilities included basically downtown.

Maybe she owns a house or something. I mean I'm seriously wondering how many of these people who are like, "OMG! We can't afford even the basics." live somewhere far out in a house that's slightly too big for what they could reasonably have afforded in the good times. Then again, I'm just not sympathetic of people who choose to live in the suburbs then #@$*( about the price of gas.
                      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                      -Joan Robinson

Comment

Well, I think you're way off about utilities, but others have already addressed that (incidently, I was basing my utility estimates on my experience of Pittsburgh, which has a similar climate and cost of living).

Your point is well taken about the student loans, but that's why I put her in her own apartment in the hippest neighborhood in the city. If she's got student loans to deal with, a move to a less-hip neighborhood and/or having a roommate could still get her back to where I had her.

I suspect the real culprit here is credit card debt. There are only a few of us on this board who are old enough to remember when it used to be difficult for a fresh college grad with an entry-level job to get credit; I was in one of the first graduating classes with access to easy credit, and its hard to see how it did any of us any good.

edit: either that, or an "exotic" mortgage -- and, really, even with a housing market as reasonably priced as Milwaukee's, what single 20something needs to own a house so badly that she can't wait until she saves up a proper downpayment?
                        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Maybe natural gas prices have dropped since then. All I remember is that the pice was insane, way out of our reach to pay, and thank goodness Chicago doesn't allow the gas company to disconnect you in winter. We still owe that gas bill.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Maybe their printer just added an extra zero by accident...
                            Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
                              I pay $600/mo. for a 2 room apartment all utilities included basically downtown.
                              It is over $1000/mo. for a quite ****ty 2 bedroom apartment here in Newport News. While it is definitely not the bad area of town, it isn't the hip area of town either. Additionally, while it isn't a complete dump (well, our place is, but the complex isn't), it isn't all that nice either.

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871
                                Maybe their printer just added an extra zero by accident...
                                Nah, it was a major news tory in Chicago at the time because of how many people were getting insane bills. Some of them were clearly wrong, like the lady who got an $1800 gas bill in January. ****ing People's Gas.

Comment

Working...
                                X