Up to 6 years in jail for exporting British culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up to 6 years in jail for exporting British culture

A British businesswoman is facing six years in a foreign jail after she was allegedly caught having drunken sex on a beach in Dubai.

"We are in so much trouble and my family and everybody are affected. Until someone is in this situation they could never know what it's like. It's bad - it's so, so bad.

"They are being pushed into a corner to make an example of us. I'm panicking - my mum is on anti-depressants. I can't say anything else. I've got to go."

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

They got off light.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Well, at least they got off...
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

This is why I refused to work in the new Dubai office for my company.

Though I also refused to go to London and New York. But Dubai would be the worst. London's not much better -- what with all of the people with stupid accents, funny hats, and terrible food.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I think it's extreme, but they were warned. I can see why, from the argument you're trying to make, tha you didn't post the article.

When the pair were allegedly found having sex by a policeman, he is said to have let them off with a caution. However, later, after the couple were discovered in the same position, they were arrested, and Miss Palmer is said to have become aggressive.

The exclusive residential area, which boasts a number of luxury hotels, is popular with Western expatriates. Although alcohol is available to non-Muslims in hotel bars, it is an offence to drink or be drunk in public.
          It's illegal in the States to have sex in public.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It's a far cry from a warning to 6 years in jail.

Comment

Is everyone who visits a Middle Eastern country a moron? Sure, the laws there are ridiculous, but with all the stories like this one that we've already seen, you'd think people would understand that by now.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                Is everyone who visits a Middle Eastern country a moron?
                Yes. It's not like there's anything to see there.

But I take it she was there on business.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Snuggles
                  The 30-year-old is thought to have been charged with having sex outside marriage - considered an offence in Dubai - as well as indecent behaviour in public, being drunk in public, and assaulting a police officer.

She faces and her fellow accused face a sentence of between three months and six years in jail in the state, one of seven that makes up the United Arab Emirates.

So the woman and her partner are facing multiple charges, including one of assaulting a police officer - with a possible maximum sentence of six years.

And this is supposed to be shocking?

Yes, this could be a case of the law being abusive, or of a woman using prejudice against Islamic states to argue why her criminal behavior should be excused.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Yeah, no sympathies here.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                      Yeah, no sympathies here.

Comment

You are in the Middle East... what, you expect they wouldn't care about sex in public? Hell, the officer even let them go the first time, and they did it again and then assaulted the officer!!
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

No sympathy here either.

ACK!
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

From the picture, I would think this woman having sex in public was a danger to public health. Dubai probably has enough blind people as it is.

Dogging is illegal in Britain as far as I know. Not six years in prison illegal, but illegal nonetheless.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Snuggles
                              Yes, it is. They should have took the warning for what it was, a warning, and been glad for the warning.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X