The longevity of independent websites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The longevity of independent websites

OK, so first let me define the term "independent website" as is meant in the thread name: A website not directly connected to an non-web entity or corporation. So any newspaper website would be "dependent", as would sites like Yahoo or Google, who are corporations (even though their business is web-based). Simplest example of what I mean by independent website would be Apolyton (or rottentomatoes, or television without pity, or imdb).

So the question becomes, can anyone envision popular independent websites lasting as long as some TV franchises (like the Today or Tonight Shows) or perhaps even as long as some printed media (like The Economist, or the NY Times) have? Does the web make this more or less likely? (given that anything lasting that long is actually rare)
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

I don't get your premise. Some independant websites like Yahoo and Google do really well, and so they incorporate. Therefore, they no longer count as independent website.

So if you do well, you don't count. If you don't do well, you go out of business and don't count.

Therefore, unless there is a perpetually mediocre website out there somewhere, the answer to your question must necessarily be: No.

Comment

I would imagine that an independent website, as you define it, would last as long as the owners were willing to support the associated costs.
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Plato summs it up best.

Gee, Apolyton will be 10 years old soon.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
          I don't get your premise. Some independant websites like Yahoo and Google do really well, and so they incorporate. Therefore, they no longer count as independent website.
          Once they become publicly traded corporations, the possible reasons for their survival becomes different. They would then be comparable to say a Network on television, as opposed to a specific program.

This brings up the issue of newspapers, which in themselves can become corporations (like the NY Times), but that is tangential to the discussion.

So if you do well, you don't count. If you don't do well, you go out of business and don't count.
          Not all websites that do well can be compared to Google or Yahoo, which really are as I said above, more like Networks. I would say that social network and search engines are different types of websites, much like the local news is a distinct type of entity on TV than say a variety show.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
            I would imagine that an independent website, as you define it, would last as long as the owners were willing to support the associated costs.
            I guess that is the answer for any media - I guess my question is, could such sites becomes "institutionalized" in such a way that they may switch onwers (or to compare to other media, producers, or editors) and continue on.

I think this and Zkribber's point bring up issues with the original definition in the question. While still leaving out the Google's or Yahoo's, could something like say, SLATE, last as long as regular printed magazines? (Many magazines or newspapers being owned by large media corporation, but not corporations of their own.)

Comment

Hmmm, its a good think PolyPlus didn't catch on big time or I would have had to leave this sellout shell of a true independant website for somewhere else
              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Well, Apolyton did ... so, the answer to your question is yes
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Poly is only ten years old. Hardly long enough to say it will be around as long as the NYT.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Correct not like the NYT. It will only be around as long as the owner's enjoyment of the site outweights paying to keep it up.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Re: The longevity of independent websites

Originally posted by GePap
                      (or rottentomatoes, or television without pity, or imdb).
                      imdb = amazon
                      rottentomatoes = ign
                      televi... = a certain bravo company
                      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                        Correct not like the NYT. It will only be around as long as the owner's enjoyment of the site outweights paying to keep it up.
                        That sounds ominous.
                        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

It's a hint that you need to get on your knees and your hands dirty to keep posting here.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                          X