X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally the Führer has been exectued

63 years late, I guess!

Waxwork Hitler beheaded in Berlin

A man has been arrested after tearing the head off a wax figure of Adolf Hitler at a newly opened branch of Madame Tussauds in Berlin.

The 41-year-old man was held after attacking the waxwork, only hours after the attraction opened on Saturday.

The inclusion of Hitler in the exhibition has aroused controversy in a country where Nazi symbols are banned.

But the exhibition's organisers said they could hardly depict German history without portraying Hitler.

They said the waxwork depicted Hitler in the hours before his suicide, a defeated figure slumped in his bunker as the Red Army reached Berlin.

The Fuhrer was positioned behind a table, which was supposed to prevent visitors posing with the statue - or damaging it.

'Showing reality'

Police spokesman Bernhard Schodrowski said a security guard had been shoved aside by the attacker.

"He tried to prevent the man from acting but failed. The suspect, from the Kreuzberg district, pushed the man aside and lunged at the Adolf Hitler figure and ripped the head off."

Another visitor, who was not named, said the man went straight to the Hitler figure and stepped behind the desk.

"I heard a rumbling and then he tore the figure down off the chair. The security was immediately there and tried to control him but it wasn't easy, he defended himself. Additional security staff took him away then and I had to leave the place," he said.

The attacker was only the second visitor to enter the exhibition, according to one report.

Media criticism

The decision to include a figure of Hitler has been controversial from the start.

Natalie Ruoss, of Madame Tussauds, said: "We did surveys while we were planning the exhibition on the street with Berliners and with tourists, and the result was quite clear that Hitler is one of the figures that they want to see.

"Seeing as we are portraying the history of Germany we could hardly have left him out... we want to show the reality."

Despite some criticism in the media, Stephen Kramer, general secretary of the Central Council of Jews in Germany, said he did not object to Hitler being shown, as long as it was done properly.

"Hitler should not become a tourist attraction but if this exhibition helps to some extent normalise the way of dealing with Hitler, as a kind of a demystification, let's try it," Mr Kramer told the AFP news agency.

"Erasing him from history is not going to bring the perished ones back, it's not going to heal the damage that he did, the crimes that he did. That would be counter-productive," he said.

The waxwork museum also includes other German historical figures like Otto von Bismarck, Karl Marx, Beethoven, Bach and Einstein.

Foreigners featured include Winston Churchill, Mikhail Gorbachev and Tom Cruise.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

I thought it was going to be about Mugabe. No such luck
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I thought it was about Jesse Helms.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

wouldn't Hitler be considered Nazi paraphernalia, which is illegal in much of Europe?
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Sir Ralph, what have you done to yourself
          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Mentioning Hitler is an automatic threadkill

This poor thread was doomed from the start
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Re: Finally the Führer has been exectued

[SIZE=1] ... The waxwork museum also includes other German historical figures like Otto von Bismarck, Karl Marx, Beethoven, Bach and Einstein.

Foreigners featured include Winston Churchill, Mikhail Gorbachev and Tom Cruise.

Beheading the wrong statue.

Comment

Re: Re: Finally the Führer has been exectued

Originally posted by Space05us
                Should've been that loser Gorby.
                Graffiti in a public toilet
                Do not require skill or wit
                Among the **** we all are poets
                Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Where did they get the "controversy" thing from? Hardly noticed anything, and as other Kraut media reported there's another waxwork Adolf in Hamburg since the 1940ies and nobody ever gave a damn.
                  Blah

Comment

Pre-beheading.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Re: Re: Finally the Führer has been exectued

Originally posted by Space05us

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                      The video may avatar is from

Comment

Blah

Comment

Hehe...interview with this executor:

"Football is like chess, only without the dice." Lukas Podolski

Comment

Aufregung...in der ehemaligen Reichshauptstadt

Comment

If you listen to their theme and the way items are presented, you might think all they need do is switch their topics and they'd become the propaganda show #1.

Comment

Working...
                              X