Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's all point and laugh at FARC

I hear they're giving away their important hostages to everyone these days:

French-Colombian politician Ingrid Betancourt and 14 other hostages have been freed after rebels holding them were tricked into handing them over.

Colombian soldiers - apparently posing as members of a non-government organisation - flew them to freedom in a helicopter.

Ms Betancourt said: "This is a miracle. There is no historical precedent for such a perfect operation."

Ms Betancourt was held by the left-wing Farc rebels for more than six years.

When the head of the operation to free the hostages told them they were free, "the helicopter almost fell from the sky because we all jumped, shouted, cried and embraced," Ms Betancourt said.

"We couldn't believe it," she added.

Political aspiration

The Farc has been fighting to overthrow the Colombian government for 40 years, and Ms Betancourt was their highest profile captive.

Also released were three Americans and 11 members of the Colombian security forces, all said to be in relatively good health.

President Alvaro Uribe congratulated the army on the operation, in which no shots were fired, and urged Farc to release its remaining hostages and seek peace.

INGRID BETANCOURT
    Ingrid Betancourt after her release 2 July 2008
    Born on 25 December 1961
    Grows up in Paris
    1989: Returns to Colombia
    1994: Elected to lower house
    1998: Becomes a senator
    2002: Kidnapped by Farc rebels

Rescue deals Farc a blow
    In pictures: Hostages freed
    Profile: Ingrid Betancourt
    A pale Ms Betancourt smiled as she emerged with other hostages from a military plane in the Colombian capital, Bogota, to be greeted by her mother and husband.

She appealed to Farc to free the other hostages and make peace.

She thanked Mr Uribe, against whom she was running as a presidential candidate when she was kidnapped, and said he "has been a very good president".

"I continue to aspire to serve Colombia as president," she said.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy, who had made the rescue of Ms Betancourt a foreign policy priority, was joined by her family at his residence, the Elysee Palace in Paris.

The freed hostage's son, Lorenzo Delloye-Betancourt, told the news conference it was "the best moment of my life". His sister Melanie said it was like "emerging from a bad dream".

The siblings are flying to Colombia to be reunited with their 46-year-old mother.

Video pictures released last November had shown Ms Betancourt looking gaunt and frail.

Accounts from freed hostages that she was in danger of dying had heightened the sense of urgency surrounding her fate.

Naked and blindfolded

Also released were three US defence department contract workers who were captured after their light aircraft crashed in the Colombian jungle in 2003.

The trio - Marc Gonsalves, Thomas Howes and Keith Stansell - have now arrived back in San Antonio, Texas, where they will undergo medical tests and be reunited with their families.

Ingrid Betancourt's son on his joy at her release

The 11 members of the Colombian security forces who were released had been captured in various rebel attacks.

Colombian Defence Minister Juan Manuel Santos said the Farc rebels had been tricked into handing over the hostages by soldiers posing as members of a fictitious non-government organisation that supposedly would fly the captives to a camp to meet rebel leader Alfonso Cano.

"The helicopters, which in reality were from the army, picked up the hostages in Guaviare and flew them to freedom," he said.

Intelligence agents had infiltrated the guerrilla ranks and duped the local commander in charge of the hostages, alias Cesar, the defence minister said.

Cesar and another rebel who boarded the helicopter had been quickly overpowered and would now face justice, he added.

'Without a scratch'

Ms Betancourt later told a press conference she at first had had no idea she was being rescued until she saw her captor naked and blindfolded on the floor of the aircraft.

STEPPING STONES TO FREEDOM
    Jan, 2008: Betancourt aide Clara Rojas and ex-congresswoman Consuelo Gonzalez freed by Farc
    Feb, 2008: Farc vows to hold three US hostages for 60 years
    March, 2008: Colombian forces raid rebel camp in Ecuador and kill Farc commander Raul Reyes
    March, 2008: Farc leader Manuel Marulanda dies of reported heart attack
    April, 2008: Farc says Ecuador raid has "gravely" harmed efforts to free Ms Betancourt
    July, 2008: Colombian military frees Ms Betancourt, the three US contractors and 11 other hostages

World reaction
    Send us your comments

"I saw this guerrilla commander, who had so often been cruel to us, on the floor," she said. "But I did not feel happiness. I felt sad."

Armed forces chief Gen Freddy Padilla said: "We wanted to have it happen as it did today. Without a single shot. Without anyone wounded. Absolutely safe and sound, without a scratch."

The US ambassador to Colombia, William Brownfield, said there had been "close co-operation" from the Americans, including sharing of intelligence, equipment and training advice.

World leaders welcomed the news, and celebrations erupted on the streets of Colombian cities as crowds hailed the jungle rescue in a country plagued for decades by kidnappings.

The BBC's Jeremy McDermott in Medellin says the successful operation by Colombian security forces is a political and military coup for the country's government.

Keith Stansell, left, Marc Gonsalves, centre, and Thomas Howes in an unknown location after being released
    The released American hostages have flown home
    He adds that it is a major blow to the Farc, which had hoped to exchange some 60 political hostages for hundreds of rebels held by the Colombian government, and has now lost a powerful negotiating tool with Ms Betancourt's rescue.

The Farc still holds more than 40 high-profile hostages, among up to 700 other captives.

Ms Betancourt has dual citizenship as the result of marriage to a French diplomat - since dissolved - which produced her two children, who worked hard to keep her captivity in the spotlight.

The politician was kidnapped in February 2002 while campaigning in territory controlled by the Farc.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Blah

They certainly got well and truly FARCed over...
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Cesar was very lucky to be captured. Can you imagine what FARC wants to do to him now? It probably involves a pair of pliers and a blowtorch...
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Who captured CESAR????? When!?
        Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
        Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
        Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

30 pieces of silver...
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

The key to the trick was when they duped most of the FARC thugs into beaming over to the USS Enterprise, which the crew had secretly abandoned and left on a timed destruct sequence.
            "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

Originally posted by Saras
              Who captured CESAR????? When!?
              Read the FARCing quoted news article in the OP...
              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

This is an amazing story. Fiction has nothing on this.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS

Read the FARCing quoted news article in the OP...
                  Ask a certain posters RL name

S
                  Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                  Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                  Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                    Though very shortly it will become a film based on reality, which pretty much is fiction.
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill

Though very shortly it will become a film based on reality, which pretty much is fiction.
                      True. In fiction you have the good guys and the bad guys. There's nothing good about the US or Colombian govts.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

"three US defence department contract workers"
                        English translation: "mercenaries."

Comment

FARC is such a joke. They're pretty much done for good now, though

Colon
                          THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                          AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                          AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                          DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                            If this were play'd upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an
                            improbable fiction.

Comment

And @ the Colombians.

Comment

Working...
                              X