Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Mushrooms?

Warm glow from magic mushrooms can last for months: study

WASHINGTON (AFP) - The feelings of well-being and life satisfaction brought on by the hallucinogen psilocybin, found in "magic" mushrooms, can last for months, according to a new study.

ADVERTISEMENT

Researchers at Johns Hopkins University in Maryland found that the majority of 36 volunteers who took psilocybin in controlled conditions continued to feel the beneficial effects for more than a year afterwards.

"Most of the volunteers looked back on their experience up to 14 months later and rated it as the most, or one of the five most, personally meaningful and spiritually significant of their lives," said Roland Griffiths, a professor in the department of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences and Neuroscience.

The first results of the clinical trial, aimed at uncovering the secrets of the "magic" mushrooms that have been used for religious or healing purposes in some cultures for centuries, were published in 2006.

Fourteen months after the trial, the 36 volunteers -- all in good physical and mental health -- were given the same questionnaire as well as some follow-up questions.

Results show that about the same proportion ranked their experience in the trial as one of the most personally meaningful or spiritually significant events of their lives.

"This is a truly remarkable finding," said Griffiths, lead author of the study which appeared in the Journal of Psychopharmacology.

"Rarely in psychological research do we see such persistently positive reports from a single event in the laboratory."

He said the results gave credence to claims that the mystical-type experiences some people had during hallucinogen sessions may help patients suffering from cancer-related anxiety or depression.

Psilocybin could also be used as a possible treatment for drug dependance, the professor said.

He said his team was "eager" to continue their research, adding that although some of the volunteers had reported fear and anxiety immediately after receiving psilocybin, "none reported any lingering harmful effects."

However, the team warned against giving hallucinogens to people at risk of psychosis or other serious mental disorders, and said it was important that it be administered under controlled conditions.

Psilocybin is a plant alkaloid that affects some of the same brain receptors as serotonin, a neurotransmitter.
    Yeah man. Like we could use some of that right now.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Magic Mushroom

This study had cronos approval!
    Last edited by CrONoS; July 2, 2008, 16:58.
    bleh

Comment

John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

BAYER AFAIK still grows them,
        though they aren´t allowed to sell them out of their labs because of the anti drug laws.
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

mmm mushrooms

Comment

In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Seems that all the new work coking out on psycotics seems to be saying there are good atm.
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Ok seriously now, we all know taking magic mushrooms is cool. Hell it's just plain good fun. But does it help with depression and other mental sickness?

They didn't give them to depressed people in the study, why not?

Is this a serious study? The drug companies are not going to be able to make money from a drug that you only have to take once a year. I don't except any progress to come from this.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

They didn't give them to depressed people in the study, why not?
                  The main purpose of a phase 1 clinical trial is to test for adverse effects.
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

It was only a couple of years ago that they outlawed selling them in the UK. You could pick up a box really cheaply and easily. A fun way to spend a sunny weekend afternoon with friends.

Comment

Working...
                    X