Mongol!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mongol!

On teh whole, not as awesome as I was unrealistically expecting, but still very good. On a scale of Troy to Gladiator, probably somewhere around a Master & Commander.
    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Russel Crowe's only good movie was Mystery, Alaska.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I thought Proof was excellent as well.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

L.A. Confidential
        Blah

Comment

Re: Mongol!

Originally posted by LordShiva

On teh whole, not as awesome as I was unrealistically expecting, but still very good. On a scale of Troy to Gladiator, probably somewhere around a Master & Commander.
          This scene was awesome!
          bleh

Comment

I wish we'd seen more of his efforts to raise his army. He's chilling with his family in one scene, and in teh next he's got 6,000 men

Also, how long was Borte boinking teh Tangut guy before she rescued him?
            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES

Comment

Who are the bad guys here, other Mongorians (assuming teh movie covers not his whole life)?
              Blah

Comment

I am currently reading Conn Iggulden's series on Genghis. So far, he's written Genghis: Birth of an Empire and Genghis: Lord of Bows

The author has not only done his research well, but he alse went and lived with the Mongols.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                  I am currently reading Conn Iggulden's series on Genghis. So far, he's written Genghis: Birth of an Empire and Genghis: Lord of Bows

The author has not only done his research well, but he alse went and lived with the Mongols.
                  I second that assessment. Very enjoyable read... and read his series about Caeser too!

I also saw the movie this past weekend. The battles were visually excellent, and the attempt to humanize Ghengis was OK. However, there were too many quick jumps from crisis to everything being alright though (like his visit to the Sacred Mount in a prisoner yoke, and then amazingly he's free)

Sorry, its not at the level of Master and Commander
                  Last edited by hexagonian; June 30, 2008, 21:38.
                  Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                  ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Can I safely assume his Caesar series is as good?

Comment

Hmm, I read the first book of his Caesar series. I though it was just ok, and stopped there.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                        Who are the bad guys here, other Mongorians (assuming teh movie covers not his whole life)?
                        Yeah, just other Mongorians.

Hopefully there's a sequel for his later life

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                          Hmm, I read the first book of his Caesar series. I though it was just ok, and stopped there.

-Arrian
                          The topics tend to be more interesting after Book I. Caeser continues to establish himself militarily in Book II...onto Gaul in Book III, and then Pompey/Egypt in Book IV.

But I'm also a sucker for historical fiction, even if it takes some liberties by filling in the blanks.
                          Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                          ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Yes, awesome scene. Great art direction and demonstration of tactics. We really need to start a "Civ List" of movies that depict tactics of the different civs.

I look forward to seeing this movie.
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Violent Mongols

Mongolia calls state of emergency
                              BBC

The president of Mongolia has declared a four-day state of emergency in the capital....

Over 60 people were hurt

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
                              Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                              Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                              "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                              From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Working...
                              X